Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MCE or GAL?

22 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
42.6 K Views
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you want to plug a laptop in and use simple terminal, yes.
The advantage is that custom software can be developed.
Swift accepts ascii commands.
When you send pmii the response is a table of the i/o status at that instant in time.
para will review all parameters with value? to update or continue listing.
Software could be developed to take advantage of these kind of details



   
ReplyQuote
(@kenelev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Both MCE & GAL are good controller. But they make a simple thing to become complicated just like westinghouse/schindler controller. I install both a lots before. Now I go with smartrise for most of the jobs. Due to simple installation and if one of the I/O went bad, you can program the spare on the board for that function without wait for the new board and use of computer. *which the doc did not tell you*
Also, control sru, cartop and car station board is inner changeable
but need a computer to program it which smartrise is working to change that.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have worked quite a bit on both Galaxy and MCE. Each new Galaxy I see has about 20 new parameters.So they are constantly adding new features. They are my preference in smaller , low rise buildings. I never cared for their tape unit or their seemingly undersize starter relays , but it they to be relatively trouble free once installed. I guess it really is a pricing decision as to which one you choose.
I would stick with MCE on high speed cars and large groups. CEC is now extinct. I have worked a bit on EC units but never on anything beyond a duplex.
I am curious about the SmartRise Controllers.



   
ReplyQuote
(@N.W.GUY)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've worked on both in mods and in service. Hands down the Galaxy's are better. Easier to work on, software upgrades can be emailed to you and are quick and easy to upgrade. All the boards are made in N.Y. City. The Galaxy is more reliable and just a better product.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Now GAL has a new version for AC traction that on the right application without a lot of bells and whistle's is almost half the cost!!! This controller will dominate that part of the market.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I do find the GAL product very easy to work on. I am very good with MCE stuff but I do admit that their tech support is a royal pain in the ass. Mostly due to the amount of time you waste getting them on the phone. with me most of my correspondence with them involves software upgrades or something they did wrong ie confusion over specs. The Galaxy has come a long way in it's improvements over the years. They have idiot proof prints lol.
It seems with a lot of this newer equipment it comes down to how well it performs over time. It is all cereal box in terms of setting it up. Most of the Galaxy problems I have seen involve their dinky starters or the encoder board that splits the encoder signal to the drive as well as the processor. They use to have problems loosing the battery backed ram I think 1036 board over about two years but they are using a newer CPU stack today.



   
ReplyQuote
(@NOTIME)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Go With Smartrise
very easy for Troubleshoot, good support (no extra cost)
just 1 board in controller just 4 or 5 relays



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top