Elevator Forum

Fellow Otis elevato...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Fellow Otis elevator employees

22 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
47.7 K Views
(@sinister1ca)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#8939]
Anyone getting any training on the new Otis hydro fit and GCS controller's, because my branch sure isn't. I find it very embarrassing struggling in front of our costumers. To find out what's wrong with their units, and flipping trough Otis Tips and manuals. Only to tell them I have Limited access to the fault's because my company won't let us have the dongle. They tell us they don't want it in the hands of our competitors. Meanwhile tarnishing our reputation and selling them very flimsy product's.



   
Quote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
This problem isn't limited to Otis.

Do your adjusters have the tools needed?



   
ReplyQuote
(@sinister1ca)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
All our adjusters jumped ship, I'm a very proud mechanic, but right now feel we are the laughing stock of this city.(medium
sized Canadian city. I used to work for TK and Kone, everyone wanted to work for Otis, not so much anymore!!

Last edited by sinister1ca; 11/10/13 06:26 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I just completed my field training for my region, Northern Louisiana to west Texas. My training focused mainly on all the GCS based products. What region are you in? The guys in my region try to do field training at least twice a year. There are some new classes we are getting together, we have some good TIPs and training coming up at "O"-stay tuned.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sinister1ca)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
FA branch



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: sinister1ca
All our adjusters jumped ship, I'm a very proud mechanic, but right now feel we are the laughing stock of this city.(medium
sized Canadian city. I used to work for TK and Kone, everyone wanted to work for Otis, not so much anymore!!

What I'm saying is that it is no different at other companies. Are you out west or east? I've worked in 3 different locals from east to west in Canada. I've seen a lot of different management tactics. It seems recently in Canada, the game is being played out where the employers are looking to reduce our knowledge base as field employees. We are not being offered any field training, and we are denied access to important info. I would say get on your supervisors case, and call in adjusters when you don't have the necessary training or tools to get the job done. Unfortunately the only way they will understand the value of training at the corporate level is when they see the added cost of not providing it.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The information is out there, its not always easy to get though. Since I got out of the field, it has been my mission to help the field guys as much as I can, this includes getting the TIPs they need and training when possible. Once the information is in their hands, its their responsibility to study it and ask questions. Most guys understand this, some don't.



   
ReplyQuote
(@NewMech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: E311
The information is out there, its not always easy to get though. Since I got out of the field, it has been my mission to help the field guys as much as I can, this includes getting the TIPs they need and training when possible. Once the information is in their hands, its their responsibility to study it and ask questions. Most guys understand this, some don't.

This is the case in our office. The information is available, but you have to find it yourself via supervisors or other mechanics that already have the info. I agree, some mechanics use the difficulty of obtaining information as an excuse for not working on equipment.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Find out who your RFE is, all of the RFE's I know would be more than happy to help with any information you need.



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: NewMech
Originally Posted By: E311
The information is out there, its not always easy to get though. Since I got out of the field, it has been my mission to help the field guys as much as I can, this includes getting the TIPs they need and training when possible. Once the information is in their hands, its their responsibility to study it and ask questions. Most guys understand this, some don't.

This is the case in our office. The information is available, but you have to find it yourself via supervisors or other mechanics that already have the info. I agree, some mechanics use the difficulty of obtaining information as an excuse for not working on equipment.

Good one, but where is the training? If a mechanic is not properly trained, and feels uncomfortable working on a piece of equipment without training, what are they to do?

I personally will find the information I need. Still I agree with what the OP is describing, the "office" is putting the employee on the spot and doing an injustice by not providing training when it is requested.

I would love to have a supervisor who goes out of thier way to get me the information I need. Truth be told, I've had a couple who did or tried to, but I've had many more who didn't or couldn't.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You have access to Otis Role right? Call them, thats what they are there for. They document their calls and can get you what you need. You dont need your supervisors permission to receive information and they can email you the documents you need to your home. Good luck. I wounldn't diss on they company you work for, you should be happy you are working and for one of the best out there. Just remember the grass is no greener on the other side.



   
ReplyQuote
(@darrell)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have the field installation manual for the hydro fit... we didn't really get trained on them though... the manual is pretty close . Hit me up if u have any questions.. I have done 4 hydro fits this yr... and 3 g2s .. 2 (4) stops and 1 (7) stop thanks Darrell



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Be carful Darrell, the manuals you are referring to are tightly controlled.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
All the companies have just about everyone's information. Some companies even seem to have more info than the original OEM....



   
ReplyQuote
(@ThyssenKrapp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Now i know it is tightly controlled that makes me want it even more 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top