Elevator Forum

Favorite lube for G...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite lube for GAL door equip.

17 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
23.3 K Views
(@JimboNJ)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#21072]
Just wondering what you guys use



   
Quote
(@InFritzWeTrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Tri-flow



   
ReplyQuote
(@JHessorz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
On hanger rollers i will pull the self lubricators off and soak them in Zoom oil and that typically lasts a few months. On applications that needs heavier lubrication I use Slip it. Obviously when there are grease fittings I will use grease with antisieze.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I use the Zoom turbine oil too. Removing and soaking them is the right way to do it but I usually just stick the Zoom spout under the oiler, give it a squeeze, pull it out and let the oiler soak it up.

In general, I find that the Zoom oil lasts much longer than any spray oil I've tried.



   
ReplyQuote
(@JHessorz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Right!! I buy it by the case from Grainger and it lasts longer than anything else.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Do you know why the oil turns brown? I thought it was from the sun or heat in my van but I've seen it do that just sitting in a machine room too.



   
ReplyQuote
(@JimboNJ)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for the input guys. Will get some zoom oil. Even using wd-40 and it kinda sucks - zoom oil on the operator chain also?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Oiling a chain with a Zoom Spout is pretty tedious. I'd go with a spray lube like TriFlow or a chain oil although I find chain oils to be awe fully sticky. Try to stay away from WD-40 as a lubricant. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. It's great for keeping things from rusting, dispersing water and it's an excellent cleaner/de-greaser. I use it to whipe down door tracks, removing heat sink compounds, I'd even use it on a door drive chain to clean it but you want to get some real lubricant or it. Pretty much anything I use WD-40 on I whipe it back off and lube if necessary.



   
ReplyQuote
(@JHessorz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That's interesting, none of my zoom oil has ever turned brown. 😕



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
No way! Maybe it's the climate. Does it ever get hot in NJ?

Last edited by Indirtwetrust; 07/09/17 10:01 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@RustyIron)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You guys crack me up. I thought I was the only one to use the Zoom spout oilers. I bought a case a year and a half ago, and still have a couple in my garage. I refill them with regular motor oil, and throw them out once I loose the cap. I don't think the oil is anything special, but the oiler is the only one I've found that I can put in my tool case that won't leave a sloppy mess.



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Throw them out once you loose the cap? Shame on you!
For those of us who don't have more than a few, an RB44 slips snuggly over the tube to prevent leakage.
30wt is my oil of choice. Actually, any motor oil over the lightweight stuff. My trouble is, I lube those GAL oilers to their death.
I find the lighter lubricants don't last as long on oilers or chicken wing closer hardware, but the lighter penetrating spray lubes work better on pivot points on any door equipment.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jcjphoenix)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've been told to never use anything that says "penetrating" when lubricating anything with a plastic, nylon, rubber, etc. piece because .it can eat up that part over time. I use just an oiler with 30 weight oil and a flexible spout.



   
ReplyQuote
 Boa
(@Boa)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
wd40 will dry plastic materials out, causing premature failure. For lubes I usualy use Fluid Film, lasts a lot longer. Although for GAL I usualy use a light oil to clean then lubricate



   
ReplyQuote
(@JHessorz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yeah it gets in the High 90's for most of the summer. I leave mine in the truck as well but its never turned lol.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top