Notifications
Clear all
19/08/2013 8:09 am
this started out ok. a question was asked, then another question that showed a little lack of knowledge. some brothers are being used in construction, and heavy service work, and then being put in the maintenance callout rotation, whether voluntarily or by command. we really don't know. then it became a dialog about NEIEP, meters, lack of schooling, etc. and the man still doesn't have an answer. a question about blowing fuses can not really have a definitive answer, only advice, conjecture and supposition based on our experience. some advice was given, lets let this question rest in peace.
Topic starter
19/08/2013 1:19 pm
Thank You john jay! Some people having nothing better to do than bad mouth a brother. Nobody mentioned other than fuses, relays, and rectifiers that's all that is replaceable on this board. I don't know about LA, but I'm quite capable of removing and replacing any diode that I find bad but who does that anymore? This was the customers problem and I'll just order a new board! I'm not the type to just start throwing parts at something, but why did my question go here? I know the clc battery was corroded when I looked at it Friday and the power has been off since, so I know I'll need to reenter parameters and do hoisteay scan at least. Take it from there.
20/08/2013 7:21 am
I hope that you are an elevator technician. I had a similar situation, blowing F2 fuse. Try taking out the relays labelled A1 and A2 the only control the gongs and direction arrows. Took me a bit to find this one. I really hope that their is no personal liability giving advice on this forum! Since this is not a safety issue, give it a try. Anyone else concerned about liability giving advice?
20/08/2013 8:23 am
i make a s&it ton of money form the new guy going on calls and shutting down elevators, telling the boss what is wrong and then i go in a fix it the next day. my biggest issue is the RUSH RUSH that the office push with all the safety BS!!! you CAN NOT do both and the new guy are taking WAY TO MANY CHANCES.. the are going to kill themselves or someone else. the numbers don't lie look at the increase of accidents that have happened and the decrease of man power, even the old timers are slipping up and getting hurt because they are job scared & trying to get visits in and procedures done and trouble calls and, and, and, and, need i keep going?
The new guy's; you can't even call them up to try to explain what they might want to look for in the future, because there is know way i know more them they do.
back to the main issue if you don't know how to use a DMM to check a diode then you have any business troubleshooting ANYTHING! Its pretty basic! and i don't replace diodes i don't even know where to order them from anymore(zap?). no time anyways, but i do have a solder gun and a solder sucker just in case!!!!!
The new guy's; you can't even call them up to try to explain what they might want to look for in the future, because there is know way i know more them they do.
back to the main issue if you don't know how to use a DMM to check a diode then you have any business troubleshooting ANYTHING! Its pretty basic! and i don't replace diodes i don't even know where to order them from anymore(zap?). no time anyways, but i do have a solder gun and a solder sucker just in case!!!!!
Topic starter
20/08/2013 9:06 am
I do know how to use a DMM! By the way who the hell calls it that any way. Why the hell has this post gotten to this. I have a solder gun and wick and sucker too. I also know where to get diodes if I wanted to replace them (Digikey)!! To up date all you know it alls it is not a diode on the relay board, nor is it a rectifier or the capacitor. I have narrowed it down to the P24 going to the car. I have not yet isolated it from where it changes from P24 to P24C in the car station. I'm going to order a clc board as soon as the customer signs a open order.
20/08/2013 10:29 am
one look at this explains a lot. I see a lot of stress and anger, common among us.
20/08/2013 11:10 am
CMW
I suggest you try and stay focused on the elevator issue. "Leave the politics to the politicians".
I suggest you try and stay focused on the elevator issue. "Leave the politics to the politicians".
I'm wondering if you have the manuals and prints for this unit? If you do not, www.vertexindustries.org is the non-TKE supplier. The building owner will likely have to purchase any and all info the your unit.
Looking at your posts I don't see you mention if you checked the I/O for that floor?
Topic starter
21/08/2013 2:54 am
Job has prints. I have manual. No I have not checked that floors IO. I have yet to plug in tool. Something hooked to P24C in the car station is blowing F2 & F3. I think I lose communication to clc when I unhook P24 in pumping unit.
21/08/2013 3:56 am
Unplug P24C on car end, and controller end, meter out, maybe you have a damaged traveller. If okay there, than proceed to remove all P24C driven conections in car and meter until you find the short.
Topic starter
28/08/2013 10:49 am
To update my first post.I fixed the issue with this car blowing F2 or F3 or both. I isolated it to the car station terminal strip P24 terminal. It would hold the fuses with the wires disconnect on P24. I traced P24 to the toggle switch at bottom of cop back to terminal strip as P24C. There were 6 wires on P24C. I unhooked all them and one at a time hooked them up until I blew the fuse. The last wire to check was it. I then had to trace that wire to the cartop and it was a wire going to the SELECTOR! Who would have thought that? After removing the selector board I followed the trace from the plug to a diode. Of course the diode tested ok soldered to the board, but to check it properely I unsoldered one side and it was shorted. New selector board, reentered all parameters and did hoistway learn and I was happy to have fixed it.
28/08/2013 1:08 pm
Thats good troubleshooting right there. Thats why we get paid what we get paid. We are the best of the best. Good job.
28/08/2013 1:46 pm
Originally Posted By: sccjr
Thats good troubleshooting right there. Thats why we get paid what we get paid. We are the best of the best. Good job.
This example is what separates the good from the bad mechanics. Being able to find a short from common ccts, separate those and then find the short point can be very difficult but very satisfying.
28/08/2013 7:20 pm
Hunting down shorts and grounds is the best. A real challenge that separates the men from the boys so to say. And for extra excitement nothing like the old relay Westinghouse with soldered connections to add to the fun.
29/08/2013 1:50 pm
Having a mod crew tearing out b-base is fun fun fun. Some things are grounded in the oddest locations. And sometimes your company has a ton of mod work so the last few guys get hired off the bench and you get some real winners. Instead of starting at the controller or selector to start cutting this stuff out this genius starts at the motor and works his way back. I've had to put on my big boy pants and rack my brain way too many times(same guy every time). One of the few times I've asked for a adjuster asap. Guys my age don't have the troubleshooting skills the old timers have. If there isn't a port to plug in the service tool they are lost. But guys like me Im just lost all the time
Page 2 / 2
Prev