Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

DMC Issue

29 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
54.9 K Views
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#8131]
Here goes. Customer made a call today. He was painting around the 2nd floor hall button. Wanted to remove the button faceplate from the wall. It was stuck from layers of paint, so he used his knife to pry from the wall. When he did the plate fell off the wall causing the wires to unplug from the button and hit the floor. He then thought O Sh**! Well he went to another elevator and pulled out the wall plate to see how it was wired. He got the wires hooked up, but the elevator would not run. No joke. Ok when I got onsite there were 4 blown fuses, I f2, f3, f4, etc. I have completely removed the button and still blow f2, f3. Removed wires to button in hoistway. Still blow f2,f3. Unplugged clc, still blow f2, f3. Wondering about the rectifier or the capacitor in that circuit. Any ideas??



   
Quote
(@sccjr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dont have the print in front of me but it sounds like you have a shorted diode in the controller.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
What would be the best way to check the diodes?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Elevated)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I looked at a DMC 1 print and f2 comes directly off transformer into AC side of B2 rectifier and F3 comes directly off the DC end of the same rectifier. Now the question is what vintage DMC do you have? Is the relay board green or blue? If it is green, you may luck out and have a removable rectifier. Some green boards have soldered rectifiers and some have a plug in base.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
It has the plug in rectifiers and has a selector. Can't remember the board color.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Elevated)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
My money is on a shorted rectifier.I would meter it and see.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Diodes are checked with a dmm. Digital multi-meter.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Are you billing the painters company? This should be viewed as vandalism, I wouldn't touch the unit a signed proposal is in the works and will not perform any maintenance or take any calls unit paperwork is signed and proper documentation of the incident. Someone gets hurt on the unit in the next couple weeks now you are in a liability hell hole.

Checking Diodes is troubleshooting 101. It should read one way and not the other.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for the help, but I do know how to check diodes and what to check them with. There is no question in that the building engineer is at fault and this customer is quite aware of what happens to these units when power is lost, lighting strikes, power surges,vandalism,etc. It is never cheap when they are paying. I only asked about the diodes thinking someone would know which is likely the suspect. I know there is only a few along the bottom of the board to check so I'll be back at it tomorrow.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
This is exactly what's wrong with our neiep education program guys. How is it possible this service tech is unaware of how a dmm works? ! The program is outdated and doesn't cover 25% if what it should imo. Where is the company training? We have some serious problems coming in the near future since half of our union workforce will be retiring in less than 10 yrs. It's hard to argue that we deserve raises and more bennies when our bros are lacking the knowledge to do their jobs. We all have to step up and teach the upcoming generation and re-vamp the neiep program to include more technical skills of troubleshooting electronics. Cmw007, Google it bud.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sccjr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The old timers are just as bad. More than half of the t/s calls I get called out on the mechanics have over 20 yrs exp in the trade...When I fix something they don't care how I did it just that it works. You're right though NEIEP needs to make things a bit harder to pass the program, like a final hands on simulated t/s test plus written. But that might put our union in a position not to fill mechanic requests.



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Philly
This is exactly what's wrong with our neiep education program guys. How is it possible this service tech is unaware of how a dmm works? ! The program is outdated and doesn't cover 25% if what it should imo. Where is the company training? We have some serious problems coming in the near future since half of our union workforce will be retiring in less than 10 yrs. It's hard to argue that we deserve raises and more bennies when our bros are lacking the knowledge to do their jobs. We all have to step up and teach the upcoming generation and re-vamp the neiep program to include more technical skills of troubleshooting electronics. Cmw007, Google it bud.

How do you know what education the OP has?

There's nothing wrong with NEIEP, they teach you how to use a dmm, wheter or not the individual remembers or understands how to use it is another question. It has been this way since the begining and will continue to be this way, union education or not. The question of ability applies to all workers, regardless of the employer, union or not, and even line of work.

Not everyone is an adjuster, nor should they be expected to be, but there is a place for everyone to do thier job. I agree that we all need to do our part to teach and pass on our knowledge, but this trade takes a lifetime of learning, and you will never master it.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I hear ya SSCjr, I had a bunch of those last week. There are some I come in contact with that actually want to learn-its very refreshing when that happens 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Those old dogs that don't want to learn new tricks will sooner than later be down the road or on the bench. It's not the way it used to be anymore, the big companies are Crap canning the older guys that refuse to or cannot learn the newer equipment. They have this false sense of security that somehow seniority will protect them. At least that's the norm out here in L.A. Our union reps cannot do a thing about it because the guys cannot do their job. I completely understand that not everyone can be expected to reach troubleshooter/adjuster level, but yet we all call ourselves elevator mechanics. Expected to be capable of performing all aspects of the trade. Can you stack a set of 80 story rails? Install an escalator? Set a geared machine motor within .001", or plumb a 60ft. jack? We should all be able to fill all these roles. The 70% grade needed to pass our neiep training is embarrassing. I can count on less than one hand how many people I've meet over almost 20 yrs that can do almost anything. That old thinking that there's a place for everyone is a slippery slope we are plummeting down. That is exactly the reasons the company's give when it comes to contract time. "These guys are mechanics getting paid an $80/hr rate that cannot do the job they are hired for." We need more extensive training, and it's got to kept up to date with new industry technology. Period. At least if we expect to keep getting out international contacts signed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: sccjr
The old timers are just as bad. More than half of the t/s calls I get called out on the mechanics have over 20 yrs exp in the trade...When I fix something they don't care how I did it just that it works. You're right though NEIEP needs to make things a bit harder to pass the program, like a final hands on simulated t/s test plus written. But that might put our union in a position not to fill mechanic requests.

Believe me, there are all sorts of unemployed people looking to cash in on a six figure salary. I doubt very highly that those requests would go unfilled. It just won't be filed by our brothers unless we help each other and strive to be better instead of sitting back and calling the adjuster.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top