Elevator Forum

Conflicting Informa...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Conflicting Information

12 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
13.1 K Views
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#8352]
Was performing a 125% test on a MRL that we changed the main brake out on. The cross head says 3500 capacity and inside that car on the cop says 5000. I went with what the crosshead said since it was stamped on from the manufacture. Which one would you go off of?



   
Quote
(@sccjr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Whatever the state database has on file from the original install. Thats a scary thought though. Have the helper load in the weight slowly hahaha jk.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I guess they don't have the capacity (speed etc. etc.) stamped on the machine dataplate anymore like the golden days?

The public is gonna see the 5000lb. sign before the 3500lb.....



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Check the code or ask an inspector as to the correct platform area for that given capacity. I would error on the side of safety though it is highly unlikely the public can load up the unit to full capacity. I have seen this happen in hospitals however with heavier medical equipment.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bk2fla)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: sccjr
Whatever the state database has on file from the original install. Thats a scary thought though. Have the helper load in the weight slowly hahaha jk.

this is your best and safest bet. Love the helper joke!haha

Last edited by bk2fla; 09/04/13 05:22 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Just a personal opinion, I would have changed the capacity plate in the Cab to reflect the Crosshead if I used the smaller weight limit, especially after installing a new Brake.



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
A newer unit like that would use the crosshead data.



   
ReplyQuote
 ABE
(@ABE)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I remember making that mistake once on a cat 5 during the 125% brake test. COP said 3500lbs and as I found out later the cross head said 2500lbs which I got a very good look at as I put the cables back in the correct groves on the car top sheave after it crashed into the pit. The car hit the buffers so hard all the cables jumped a grove and one cable jumped right off the sheave! As the younger mechanic I had the pleasure of tying off at the top landing and rigging up the counter weight so we could hoist the car high enough to move all the cables back in place. The cross head data plate looked had been in place since installation and the COP had been replaced at some point during a mod.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: E-man
I guess they don't have the capacity (speed etc. etc.) stamped on the machine dataplate anymore like the golden days?

The public is gonna see the 5000lb. sign before the 3500lb.....

I would have checked the machine data plate but its a MRL, too much work 😉



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I just took over this job 2 weeks ago. This has been wrote up multiple times by the inspector.

Too add fuel to the fire. I had a shorted brake coil on this unit. I called our companies part house and gave them the controller job number and told them I need a brake coil. She said no problem she has every thing she needs and will call me back once she locates what I need. I asked her to hold up what machine does the file indicate I have. She answered a Isis 2 German machine. I told her this was the wrong machines, they are a Torin ER6. She told me then is has been modded and she needs the new number that went along with the mod. This job is not that old, Tac50-03 controllers I figured no way this job has had a mod done. Turns out the machines were changed out shortly after the job was taken over on maintenance by billable repair. I called the repair supervisor and told him I needed the updated job number. Long story short, the job files were never updated. So I called Torin to get the part number for the coil. You cannot just change out the coil you have to change out the whole main brake, had to have a repair team to come hang the car and put hold backs on the ropes. I retract any previous statements saying anything good about MRLs and anything bad I said about hydros. Wow this has been fun, I made one hell of a splash in my first couple weeks on this new endeavor I've taken on.



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sounds like ampther brilliant TKE mess to me.

From a Crisis to a Chorin, just doesn't add up.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
I just took over this job 2 weeks ago. This has been wrote up multiple times by the inspector.

Too add fuel to the fire. I had a shorted brake coil on this unit. I called our companies part house and gave them the controller job number and told them I need a brake coil. She said no problem she has every thing she needs and will call me back once she locates what I need. I asked her to hold up what machine does the file indicate I have. She answered a Isis 2 German machine. I told her this was the wrong machines, they are a Torin ER6. She told me then is has been modded and she needs the new number that went along with the mod. This job is not that old, Tac50-03 controllers I figured no way this job has had a mod done. Turns out the machines were changed out shortly after the job was taken over on maintenance by billable repair. I called the repair supervisor and told him I needed the updated job number. Long story short, the job files were never updated. So I called Torin to get the part number for the coil. You cannot just change out the coil you have to change out the whole main brake, had to have a repair team to come hang the car and put hold backs on the ropes. I retract any previous statements saying anything good about MRLs and anything bad I said about hydros. Wow this has been fun, I made one hell of a splash in my first couple weeks on this new endeavor I've taken on.

In my experience mrl's are good, but when mechanical repairs are required will be a bummer just due to the nature of these units. The product we used was Macpuarsa and I must admit its a pretty good unit and mechanically a damn site better than a monospace. The only drawback from this type of unit is some manufacturers install the controller inside the shaft with an inspection plate on the top floor, which is fine but if your in a apartment complex, with a penthouse on the top, that means no access to the controller for breakdowns or maintenance which is a poor design and has a lack of forethought!!



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top