Elevator Forum

Rants, Rages, and g...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing

51 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
127.4 K Views
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
oh i got a good one for preventive maintenance..... old otis ucl 1960ish, the wires from the controller to the generator insulation got so old and brittle that it broke off and ground out on the inside of the splice box. emails went flying.....customer wanted to know why we don't check this on our visits? after getting my ear chewed off for about 10 min. about how i didn't catch this i "nicely" ask the customer why his expert elevator consultant didn't check this??? no answer, and more emails went flying!!!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: maynd
Classic corporate people that dont say hello or good morning when they pass by you, but come cry on our knees as soon as you put the out of order sign. Nothing amuses more 🙂

On this note, the building was passing out wax highlighters for some sort of fund raiser going on downtown. I was sitting behind the security desk filling out my work log that I carry with me. A CEO of a multi-billion oil and gas company came up the console and told the guard that he loves this lip balm they are handing out. She replied that's awesome where are they handing out that out. I looked up from what I was doing and this 7 figure salary genius has been putting highlighter on his lips. Made my day.......



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
My pet peeves besides the usual public idiot or property manager without a clue .(usually a women I hate to say) ANYHOW... is being finally called out to fix something three other people have worked on and screwed up way beyond the original problem. I call it fighting your way back to the original problem.
The other is dealing with mod crews that mark all wiring cables as BR JR SR.... Bill remembers, John remembers, Sam remembers. lol
I mean for God's sake.. you go to the car top or MR with strippers, wiring screwdrivers, electrical tape... can you remember wiring tags or at least white tape to write on ?
I don't know how many times I have seen guys cross two identical travel cables because they " thought" they remembered which one was which.



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Your just simply standing in the lobby of a bank of three, in uniform, and some guy or gal asks, "Are they all out?" Sometimes I wanna just say (with a straight face), "Yes they are, ALL OVEM".



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I don't want to ride that one you are always working on it. Just point at the car next to it and say I never work on that one.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
My favorite is when we are riding the elevator. Every once in a while someone will turn to me and say "I feel better knowing you riding with me". Well I was having a bad day! I turned to the person and said "do you have a cell phone?". The person asked why? I then informed her "if we're stuck she is SH T out of luck" ...

Oops!

Lucky for me she laughed....



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: jkh
My favorite is when we are riding the elevator. Every once in a while someone will turn to me and say "I feel better knowing you riding with me". Well I was having a bad day! I turned to the person and said "do you have a cell phone?". The person asked why? I then informed her "if we're stuck she is SH T out of luck" ...

Oops!

Lucky for me she laughed....

lol, when they say that to me I reply with "We can all yell for help together!"

Some people laugh, some just get akward 😉

Last edited by traction; 09/08/13 07:13 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
When they say " oh, I'm glad I'm riding with the right person" i always tell them that we are trained to scream real loud.



   
ReplyQuote
(@galaxy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I get that all the time, " if we get stuck we're with the right person". I always say,"no because I don't have any food or drink". Nervous laughter all around.



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
we can fight over who presses the call button!!



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
"Why don't the elevators stay running?"
All things made by mankind break, busses, trains, planes, your car...

"Your service technician just left, and now the elevator is broken again"
Do you know exactly what is broken? No? Then let's take a look at it first, maybe it's something completely unrelated. We'll let you know exactly what it is.

"You guys just serviced my elevator last month, and now it's broken"
If I changed a flat tire on your car last month, and this month your engine blows up, that doesn't mean I did something wrong, does it? (The automotive analogy goes a long way to dissuade mypoic, distrustful building managers [I didn't say female!] who know nothing about mechanics and electrical issues from vaguely connecting unrelated events. Everyone knows at least a little smidgeon about cars)

"Why are these elevators so slow?"
All these elevators are actually running at design speed. The problem started when the architect intentionally under-elevated the building, to maximize the leasable floor space, and return on investment for the owner. This duplex should be a tri-plex. This four car group should be a six-car group. Etc.

"I have a maintenance contract, why do we have these problems?"
Some things can be prevented with lubrication, adjustment, checking vital metrics of performance, parts replacement, etc. But spontaneous component failures such as the failure of an intergrated circuit chip aren't within anyones control.

"Why are the elevators always broken?"
How old is your car? What would you expect if your car was 20 years old? (30? 40? etc)

"Why doesn't somebody fix them?"
All it takes is money. (Would they care to contribute?)

"Your tech doesn't seem like he knows what he is doing"
I have reviewed the issues, and the actions taken, and find that he acted properly in every case. It is more a matter of how he presents himself, and relates the issues verbally, rather than the course he took. (Then I go give the mechanic a "tune-up" of my own!)

"Seems like we're always having problems"
If they don't run too bad, you could say they are running at or better than national averages.
If below average, you might point out that this equipment was the low bid winner, and was not even top-of-the-line "back then", and now they are aging.

(OF course, all these comebacks are only to be said if you are DOING YOUR JOB, DOING YOUR BEST. Never use any of these comebacks to cover a lack of performance. They are just offered here for help in dealing with the public, and unreasonably critical people.

"Why are my elevators having so many problems?"
We will continue to do our best under the contract, but in time all things need replacement. No contract can stop the march of time. 2nd law of thermo dynamics, all things that have form, degrade into chaos. I'll have the office send you a modernization proposal.

"These elevators shouldn't break, if the preventive maintenance is being done"
This is an old school relay-logic controller. The relays are obsolete, and there are no direct replacements. Once the silver-cadmium plating is gone from the relay contacts, they go copper-to-copper, and pit quite easily. No amount of Preventive Maintenance can stop this, nor improve it. They are beyond their expected service life. They are soldered in, and subsitution of an equivalent is not covered by the contract, and extremely labor intensive, and expensive. Better to modernize.

"I got stuck in that one, I was so scared!" (also, "almost died, almost fell, fell to the bottom", etc)
Did you live?

"Oh my God, it's the elevator man! Is something really terribly wrong with the elevators?"
When you see a doctor, you don't automatically think someone died, do you? (Smile) Just keeping them running right!

"I'm scared of elevators, so I'm taking the stairs" (Said with as much drama as the speaker can muster)
Did you know there are ten times an many fatalities on stairs, than there are on elevators? Statistically, elevators are safer then stairs, and safer than walking.

"Is it safe to ride? I'm pertified of elevators"
Do you worry when you drive home? There are something close to 37,000 traffic fatalities annually in the USA, compared to just a few on elevators. You should really worry when you drive home. Of all forms of transportation, an elevator is the last one you need to worry about riding on.

"The elevator got stuck, and I'm scared of falling"
Elevators have like "100" brake pedals, or safety redundancies, but only one "go" pedal. If anything is the slightest bit amiss, it is built to STOP, more than it is built to run, to protect human life. Most of the time when an elevator gets stuck, it is only a slight anomally in a safety device, such a speck of dust on a contact. Compare this to your car, which is designed dimetrically opposite. Your car will let you drive forward over 100 mph, even if you have NO BRAKES! But do you worry when you drive your car? The elevator is infinitely safer than your car. If you don't worry about grabbing your keys and driving home, then you REALLY shouldn't worry about riding the elevator.

Standing in the elevator, a passenger comes in and says "Is it safe?"
Lady, if you see me taking the stairs, then it's time to worry!

Someone in the cab sees your uniform, says "Glad you're hear, in case we get stuck"
Uhm-hum, I can shriek like a bitch. (Help you scream, etc)

Looking around the cab, there are a few people, and one of them has food.
"Well, if we get stuck, at least we'll have something to eat!" Nervous awkward laughter...

Woman- "Hold the elevator, I'm coming, I'm coming!"
Oh, I thought you were just breathing heavy!

Pretty, fun-loving woman THAT YOU KNOW approaches, so hold the door for her-
Are you going down? We could go down together! 🙂

Last edited by Vic; 09/23/13 12:40 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
"Can this elevator fall?"

Nothing's impossible, but it has six hoist ropes, and only two are enough to hold this car. The factor of safety is tremendous. Only Hollywood elevators have that typical single, fraying cable.

Once a plane hit the Empire State Building, and a wing cut through all the hoist ropes of one of the elevators, and the governor rope. The elevator fell, but the operator actually lived, albeit injured.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I like to tell people when they start with any of the before mentioned comments...These elevators were installed in the 60s or 70s or whatever is appropriate. How many 1960 Peter Built trucks did you see on your way to work today?? How about any cars?? These elevators have well over a million miles on them and run every day 24 seven. Try leaving your keys in your car and let everyone in the neighborhood drive it and see how long it lasts.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Good one Dan, I use the 1960s or whatever age City bus analogy.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Once you compare it with something they understand like the bus you can see the light go on.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:
Scroll to Top