Elevator Forum

westinghouse type 3...
 
Notifications
Clear all

westinghouse type 38 machine

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
25.8 K Views
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#5439]
I have two westinghouse type 38 machines. they both need the main drive sheave replaced. I have done this on otis and hollister whitney but never a westinghouse. The machine is from 1961 or 62. one of my questions is, can this sheave be taken off the hub on site with a hundred ton hydraulic press like other machines and does anyone know of a good vendor who
I can get the sheave from? The other is does anyone have a write up on the process to replace this? Thanks for any help given.



   
Quote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
got a photo? geared or gearless? all of the geared whs machines we imported (#27,37 and 57) we were able to do this. the gearless machines(unsure of the machine numbers) are also able to be split but are also a bit of a pain and alot more involved.



   
ReplyQuote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I'll be getting photos today that I can post. I am also looking at replacing entire machine as an option depending on the cost of each. I know of Titan machine in NYC as a possibility sending unit to be replaced after I pull the hub.

Last edited by aquadag; 01/04/13 12:14 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Titan is my vendor of choice for these sheave replacement. They cut off the old sheave and install a new steel one. So we send the whole Sheave and gear to them. You have it apart so go ahead and pop for new spider gears if needed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i take it if your talking about crown wheels and worm gear its a geared machine?



   
ReplyQuote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
yes it's geared, one is 2000lbs @ 350 fpm and the other is 2500lbs @ 300fpm



   
ReplyQuote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I did find this online document but does anyone have a better one?

westinghouse online doc



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
ok that doc is very interesting. if its anything like a #37 machine yes i think you should be able to lift the sheave/crown wheel out of the gear frame pedestal. if i remember correctly then you unbolt the crown wheel from the sheave. then it a matter of finding another sheave but im not sure where.ive watched our fitters do the job a few times but it was a while ago.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
also is there any written history of the westinghouse elevator company? all i can get is a vague history of the whole company.

thanks.



   
ReplyQuote
 PGL
(@PGL)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
danzeitzs response to your question is spot on pull that sheave out and just send to Titan machine have done a few myself.The one thing not mentioned here is landing counterweight and putting car in overhead.Have heard of too many mechanics parking car half way thinking its balanced??? only to have car go into overhead all by its self.Safety first BROTHERS and bless the IUEC



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm with DZ & PGL!
Mike @ Titan Machine is great to work with. We just completed two machines. And we are scheduled for two more.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Good info guys, Titan seems like the go-to shop.



   
ReplyQuote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
thanks for the info. Talked to Mike and set it up for next week.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top