Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

TK LD-03 interface

24 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
19.3 K Views
(@ashley)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#32900]
We are going to upgrade a tac20 controller to a Smartrise unit. The current unit is a IMS interface , which obviously won’t be around anymore. Does anyone know if I update the door board to a UIT unit, does it allow for either dry contact or 24vdc inputs for door open, close and nudging or do I need to just replace it with a movfr ? I looked at MCE smartraq won’t work, and eci door boards won’t work with the 20vdc motor.



   
Quote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Personal opinion here.... you'd be silly to not just use a GAL MOVFE linear operator. GAL is the standard pairing with smartise. And I think GALs the best operator anyhow. Its a win win.



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You could use a movfr though if you wanted, it'd just be more work. The movfe should be a much more direct swap.

I did two mods where we replaced hd-85 harmonic operators on tac20s with movfr's. We retained the TK clutch and doors on that job. Instead of a connecting link from the end of the drive arm to the clutch we ordered connecting links with a bracket on the end with slots for two bolts. Took a roughly 18x24 inch piece of 11 gauge sheet steel and a ton of self tappers with lock washers and loctite to secure that plate to the raise ribs on the car door and bolted the connecting link to it. It's been years and no issues.



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Don't sell yourself short. Even if your stuck in a full maintenance contract Mods are pretty much always paid for so this is your opportunity to get what you WANT to work on for the next 30 years. Yall are gonna make money either way so pick what's going to be best to service. There's a reason TK stuff is always modded to better equipment but not the other way around. I wouldn't want to work on an ld-03 with an interface board when it could've just been a GAL operator.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jluff)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Your problem will be the zone restrictor. I just put in a MOVFR and removed a TK HD-LM operator. It had an ESI controller. Didn’t change the header. But did change all the interlock assembly’s and clutch . Had to use a claddagh electric door restrictor. In hind site I Would have liked to use a mechanical restrictor.

Last edited by Jluff; 04/08/22 10:30 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Goat
(@Goat)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Smartrise has a door board that will work as long as the door motor is DC. The reason we went this route was due to having the single post above ground TK jack. Sucker is right in the way.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
SEES and Vertical Express both sell mechanical door restrictors.



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm not sure how the restrictor could be a problem? Any Tac-## is new enough it should've been manufactured with a restrictor of some sort already on it. I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen a tac-20 not have a restrictor (either on the clutch/door track or the angles bolted to the fascia/car door).



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jluff)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you are mod a tke door operator n Tac 20 that you are changing to GAL door operator you are not keeping your Tac 20 clutch and restrictor. you need a GAL clutch. And the GAL door restrictor will only work on a GAL header . So now you need a separate door restrictor.

Last edited by Jluff; 04/09/22 06:26 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@beaupeep)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You could always buy the Otis door restrictor from unitec



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Changing the operator doesn't mean the clutch is being changed by default. I've ​done two mods on tac-20s and installed a movfr operator and we retained the original TKE clutch, and restrictor. Use a connecting link that bolts to the door, sees part gdo-235, Instead of the gal clutch. Mount the operator a little more towards the return side on the cartop and bolt the door link towards the return side of the door.

Honestly tks clutches are not bad. The nice thing with a tk clutch is it doesn't rely on the connecting links angle to retract the vane on the clutch, meaning the drive arm doesn't have to actually connect to the clutch itself . If your going to go through all the trouble to replace the clutch I'd be thinking of new cab/hatch doors made for GAL clutch/pickup rollers. There's really no gain in going to a gal clutch if keeping the tk doors, they're made so differently, then you have to Jerry rig the pickup rollers onto the tk hatch doors, and possibly create issues with the depth of clutch and pickup rollers not working out. I'd just buy a new tk clutch and replace it so it's new as well, as a part of the mod.

I have one job on my route where my company (long before i came here) did exactly what your saying, they put a gal clutch and pickup rollers on tac 20 doors. It was a hack job. It's a pita to open a door, the bar from pickup rollers to hook bill is too far away from hole in the door, you need a three section extra long drop key.

Having seen it done both ways, my vote is on a gal operator and tk clutch. It's just a much cleaner and in my opinion better option.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jluff)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Interesting. Your way would save money and time also. Can you email me a picture.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ashley)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
EElevator; I thought the movfe was discontinues now that the monxt was around? This project has an upfront center post jack, so I will have to cut and modify the MOVFR. Thats why I was hoping for an interface. The car is down so I don't want to wait for 8 weeks for an monxt, I can get MOVFRs off the shelf from Quality in Chicago of SEES in Florida.
We also have used the MOVFR on past TK/Dover mods, the nice thing about reusing the clutch and the pivot arm is you can raise the operator up to clear any car top obstruction, and just move the connection point.

Goat: Who did you talk to at Smartrise about the interface board to the TK LD-03? I've been told know by both sales and tech support. They use IPC door boards, which don't work with 20VDC according to IPC. I'd love to go this route thought.



   
ReplyQuote
 Goat
(@Goat)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Are you sure the motor is 20VDC? The 2 we did had 120vdc motors, and we used the D3000 board. Send me your email and I will send you the book for the D3000 door board interface.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The only way to do this is to add the 2 additional boards that the HD-LM operator came with. Turns the 6300PA boards discrete with a UIT. There was another thread about this a while back.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top