Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
29/06/2018 3:30 am
Need help on a TAC 20 emergency light alarm unit. I have two units side by side, during a state test I had one which the emergency light and alarm did not work at all. I tried to change the battery but it did not work, the abttery I used was a 12v however the battery in the COP for it was a special battery. I thought maybe I needed that specific battery so I ordered a new one, put it in but still not working. What I did since the other car was working fine was swap the small boards in the car station that power the light and alarm (I assume this is a charging board of some type) - when I did this the board from the car not working did work correctly on the other car but the board from that car did not work when I installed it into the problematic car. Did the same thing with the small LED light board and had the same result, I didnt see any issues with any fuses or wires. I am not very familiar with TAC 20s so I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the correct direction or might have an answer to this.
Thanks
29/06/2018 5:59 am
When you replaced the battery you probable reversed the terminals. Make sure the one with the in-line fuse goes on positive. The wire from the fuse holder is like 14 gauge so it uses a blue Faston. The negative is small wire so it uses a red Faston. Very common mistake is to put the red on positive and the blue on negative.
29/06/2018 2:37 pm
I believe those wires also have white markers B+/B -
If that checks out ok, double check where the traveler brings the cab lighting power to the COP terminal strip. Check car to car, or use the prints (assuming at least one set is present).
If that checks out ok, double check where the traveler brings the cab lighting power to the COP terminal strip. Check car to car, or use the prints (assuming at least one set is present).
Does the COP e light “test button” kill the cab lights when it’s depressed?
30/06/2018 8:21 am
How old is this install? I think some of the early units were 6VDC but most replacement units sold these days are 12VDC
Topic starter
10/07/2018 1:10 am
Thanks for replies on this. Checked and tried swapping wires on the battery, still no change, the test button on the charging board does nothing as well. Considering installing a GAL or other type of emergency light assembly. Appreciate the replies and please feel free to send over any other suggestions.
10/07/2018 9:55 am
I have found the emergency light circuit wired incorrectly on TAC20s. There were a couple of different designs and boards. Could you post a pic of the board and the page of the print? And you have checked the fuse in the in-line holder I mentioned yes?
11/07/2018 8:03 am
Hmmm...
Based on your first self test by swapping boards, you proved both boards good.
*IDWT said, “Did you check the inline fuse” near the battery? (Or on the charging board).
**And the 115 VAC wiring? Your trouble sounds like its there.
***Installing a different light/bell unit is a PITA in my opinion.
Based on your first self test by swapping boards, you proved both boards good.
*IDWT said, “Did you check the inline fuse” near the battery? (Or on the charging board).
**And the 115 VAC wiring? Your trouble sounds like its there.
***Installing a different light/bell unit is a PITA in my opinion.
11/07/2018 12:12 pm
There a fuse on the board. He probably swapped leads on the battery and blew the fuse.
The tacs are wired with a blue stacon for +and red stacon for - you have to have the wire with the inline fuse to +.!!
The tacs are wired with a blue stacon for +and red stacon for - you have to have the wire with the inline fuse to +.!!