I am installing a fire alarm in a new building that has a elevator. It is a two story building (school) with a basement. there is no sprinkler at the top of the shaft, but there is a exhaust fan. Does this require a smoke detector at the top of the shaft for the exhaust fan? I cannot find the answer to this question and everyone I ask is not sure. I have an elevator inspection this Thursday so I need to find out. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question, but if someone could help me in anyway, I would be greatful. thanks Joe. by the way, the building is in Philadelphia Pa. thanks.
Yep agree mate. Geez we're getting a little precious here. I know here the building code can be a little vague as sometimes you can have just a sprinkler( and then whether its a dry head or not) or a smoke detector( and again whether its a heat activated or laser activated which are so sensitive to false alarms due to dust). If I understand some of you, the alarm is linked to the main switch of the lift? What's the point of fire service then? What if you set it off on top of the lift?
generally what happens you get assistance from the lift company to position the lift at the top for the detector installation and I would ask all relevant inspectors what required. Its not that much of a big deal if you do your homework.
Some elevator mechanics may not know the most recent code in that area. So ask the inspector on what he wants to see so it can pass. Or call the city for some literature on the code. What is required for a two stop hydro will be a lot different then what a high rise traction car.
Best thing you can do is get ahold of the elevator company who will either be taking the job over on maintenance or the company who installed the unit. Keep open lines of communication between all parties involved. The original question was in no way infringing on the work of the elevator company.
In most installs I have done with the fire system company a heat/smoke sensor was required in the top of the hoist way. No sprinkler at the top but a shunt trip is required. So if you do have to install a smoke you'll have to get ahold of the elevator company so a mechanic can give you access to the top of the hoist way. This will be billable item unless a contract for the new install states otherwise. The GC is probably going to be the one stuck with the bill of the mechanic to run that car.
good luck
Y
They will tell you what is needed, and will liason the required access and interconections to lift equipment as required by code.
Normally if there is no sprinklers there is no need for heat or smoke detectors in the hoistway but again it varies as to where you live.
Smoke detector's not usually required...but an uninformed fire Marshall may require it anyway.
Heat detector only required if a sprinkler is installed.
SHUNT TRIP only required if sprinkler is in MAchine room, Hoistway or above 24" in the pit.