Notifications
Clear all
28/05/2011 9:24 am
Compass (or whatever the other companies call it)is the biggest waste of money in the installation industry at the moment, the amount of buildings are very limited in which it would be useful and in this case has only 4 passenger lifts so isnt worth the expense anyway. And Green pants I think youve worked for them for too long, agree that it is probably one of the best on the market, but most definitly NOT the cheapest.
28/05/2011 12:07 pm
Can someone explain Compass? What else could you possibly need besides Traffic Management?
28/05/2011 6:53 pm
Compass is a destination dispatching program that when you walk into a lift foyer you punch the floor you are going to into a keypad (or use your security swipe)and then you will be directed to a lift (could be any in the bank) that is supposidly going to get you to your floor faster, and then you dont have to push the button in the lift as will already know where you and anyone else is going.
28/05/2011 10:17 pm
I am not a fan of the pre-destination dispatchers because they really only work better in certain types of buildings. If you have for example a government building or higher security type of building, they could work well. The idea being that people arrive and go to a certain floor on a consistent basis. On the other hand if you have an office building with a pretty random type of traffic it doesn't work well. It's not that the system doesn't work but rather that people don't generally pay attention to what elevator they get on much less even the direction they want to go. In low rise applications the typical ETS based dispatcher works good enough. You can only get so fancy when it comes down to dispatching four elevators over the range of 10-16 floors.
Last edited by Smitty; 05/28/11 02:18 PM.
29/05/2011 12:47 am
There was an Australian study on the relative benefits of destination dispatching. They showed clearly traffic patterns in various types of buildings, and had a conclusion at the end. Destination dispatch doesn't help all buildings. I'll post the link when I find it.
29/05/2011 3:48 am
I was being sarcastic about the non proprietary equip. Here at Otis we like to keep our equipment to ourselves. There is an advantage for it but not always. Most mod jobs are being installed with compass now and customers love it. I agree it is not for every building configuration though.
29/05/2011 5:19 am
sounds like a pretty typical Otis mindset...lol
Last edited by Matthew; 05/28/11 09:20 PM.
29/05/2011 2:02 pm
Hear Hear, i turned to greener pastures after many years with the Big O , and that was my mindset too!!!! after being lobtomised with their ways of doing things ,Im finally starting to grow the brain back again 😁
04/06/2011 12:48 pm
http://www.lifteye.co.nz/LEC%20Articles/Q1.pdf
Link has many interesting things, with a good bit on destination dispatch studies.
04/06/2011 9:33 pm
Originally Posted By: Vic
http://www.lifteye.co.nz/LEC%20Articles/Q1.pdf
Link has many interesting things, with a good bit on destination dispatch studies.
Yeah Yeah all KONE (and others) BS of course they would say all that technospeak they wouldnt rubbish there own equipment would they??? They and the other companies have spend millions on a technology that would really only work in a few buildings...I suppose they have to try to upsell their projects and hope the consultants and project managers get duped by the (false) claims of the uselessness of this sistem.
Last edited by kiwinightstalker; 06/04/11 01:33 PM.
06/06/2011 10:03 am
resentment i sense.
06/06/2011 7:43 pm
No not resentment mate, just enough years in the industry to know that something like this is just not worth the effort and money spent. I suppose we will all have to get used to it if and when we ever see one, just more complex equipment we wont be trained on or have even seen then expected to repair it usually on an after hrs callout.
07/06/2011 6:38 am
Hmm, well, what I got out of the study was that it is NOT an advantage in all buildings. I mean, it's not like they said it's super-duper wonderful, works everywhere, blah, blah. I thought it was a fair assesment.
Page 2 / 2
Prev