Elevator Forum

New Controllers: Ti...
 
Notifications
Clear all

New Controllers: Time For A Change

28 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
53 K Views
 Mark
(@Mark)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#1446]
Not a tech but the end user for a high rise bldg with 5 Schindler Haughton Gold Flight traction elevators. One (the freight) is the original equipment (26 years old) but the four passengers were modernized about 6 years ago with TXR5 controllers and Magnetek drives. I don't have to tell anyone here the predicament we got suckered into with this very proprietary controller, but I would like some suggestions as to what controllers (make and model) we could switch to that would be really and truly non-proprietary that any elevator service company could work on without the use of some tool, SDM chip or other device that the out-going service company will vindictively pull off the job once they know they're out the door. Thank you so much for your help!



   
Quote
(@Vatorman15)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The TXR5 are not that hard to maintain. Since you the Bldg. owner owns the SDM chips you just have to call the big Schindler and get them. Any other questions just email me.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Motion Control Engineering (aka "MCE") manufactures non-proprietary controls, for AC Traction, DC Traction, hydraulic, etc. They have a great engineering team.

We've used Motion on nearly 500 units, traction and hydraulic, and had VERY FEW problems, overall. Most problems can be fixed in the field pretty quickly, or with their phone tech support. Their circuits are comparatively easy to trace, so a lot of techs like them. Boards are available o/n air from Rancho Cordova, CA. I like the flexibility they give us to configure spare input and output channels, and adjust operating parameters in the field. (Compare that to another manufacturer, where I had to get their engineering dept to write new software, with all the frustration and delay that incurs)

Last time I heard, they had something like 40% of the modernization market. For traction elevators, you could go with an MCE M4000, or the new iDrive. They can advise you best, as to what model meets your job specific needs. 916-463-9200.

(MCE, can I have my lollipop now?)

Last edited by Vic; 05/19/11 11:58 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Mark
(@Mark)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for the info Vic. Give me an address and I may send you a whole box of lollipops!



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
8*)



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree with Vic. MCE's stuff is pretty good. I like the newer M4000 controls. Not too excited about their 1/2 wide hatch selector tape but it does seem to work. The iBox I can take or leave but it is easy to install and troubleshoot. I adjusted various MCE controllers for about 20 years now and they do have a good staff when you need help although you need to be persistent. It takes some time on the phone but eventually you'll get help. I recommend a phone in the machine room or do like I do and tap into the emergency phone line. By comparison, I have also done a ton of CEC units over the years and their tech support these days really sucks. They make a pretty decent controller but the guys who answer the phone usually are of little help. We used quite a bit of the GAL Galaxy as well on low rise 350ft/min or less applications.I used to adjust your Goldflite units too back in my earlier days. The GMG wasn't too bad but the GAC I or II was real junk. I think everyone made junk when they first started using AC motors. It wasn't until VVVF came out that AC motors could really shine.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
you could switch to MCE and have the same amount of problems you have now and waste a bunch of money. is it controller problems, door problems, or do you just not like your tech? hire a good consultant to light a fire under your service company.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We use GAL Galaxy stuff and haven't had any issues with them. Customer support is great and its completely non-propietary.



   
ReplyQuote
 Mark
(@Mark)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
@Matt,

What do these controllers generally cost(ballpark figure)?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Retail costs vary but I'd imagine anywhere from 15~20K each.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Consider that it all depends how many elevators/buildings we are talking about. obviously any company should be able to give you a better deal if you are giving them more than one building with a bank of elevators.



   
ReplyQuote
 Mark
(@Mark)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
So for say a bank of 4 cars in one building, if you add in a somewhat expedited installation to include some overtime work, would you say that $30,000 per car would be about right for budgetary purposes? What is the general/average installation time per car?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
no lol . i mean just parts alone. its too vague to comment.



   
ReplyQuote
 Mark
(@Mark)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
okay, thanks anyways



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I think you should go proprietary with Otis GCS controls, Compass destination dispatching and Panorama elevator management system. It is the best stuff on the market right now. You and your tenants would be very pleased, it would probably be cheaper and definably more reliable. Thats just my opinion as a Otis tech.

BTW the prices these guys are giving are just to buy the controller, the much more expensive part is the labor to put it all in adjust and inspect.

Last edited by GreenPants; 05/27/11 11:58 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top