Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Hydro Problems

47 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
120.1 K Views
(@WorkingSuper)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#13140]
Here is the problem we've been having:

When button to a floor is pressed, the elevator will move slightly at first. Then, wait 20 secs to 2 minutes and then move.

I had 2 elevator companies take a look at it. One said the leveler needs to be replaced. The other said that the relay contactor needs to be replaced.

What do you guys think is wrong with it?



   
Quote
 Boa
(@Boa)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I know your getting different answers from them, but go with the proffesionals. To many factors to consider here without knowing more about the equipment.



   
ReplyQuote
(@WorkingSuper)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Boa,

The problem is that there are 2 different professionals here with differing opinions. I was hoping by coming here, I can figure out who's right.

But, I guess you're saying it's impossible to say without directly inspecting the equipment?



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Does it only happen in the up direction? At only one floor? do the doors open during the pause in operation? Is the problem consistent with every call? Is the Hydraulic Oil fairly warm? These are a few questions you can look into without working on the unit that may help narrow the problem down. Any competent Elevator Mechanic would look at these before getting out the tools.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
WorkingSuper,

Did these companies actually trouble-shoot the trouble to its source? Or, did they come in take a quick look at it for free and say "I think this is what is the trouble"? By your brief description I can come with several alternatives of my own.

There is no simple answer to your question. If you paid someone to find the trouble they should be able to prove and explain the trouble to you. If you didn't pay anyone then there is no reason for them to find and tell you what is exactly wrong and what needs to done to correct it.

And no one is saying you can't find help here. I am saying that you are giving too little and/or vague information. If you were in the industry your questions would be worded differently. And you would have included the manufacturer and model of your equipment. Is it doing this at every landing? In each direction? Where are you located?

I am asking these questions so I may try and find a responsible and safe way to assist you.



   
ReplyQuote
 Boa
(@Boa)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sorry I think I'm answering this on your other post, forget where I'm at sometimes.



   
ReplyQuote
(@WorkingSuper)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
You're hunch seems to be dead on. It seems to happen mostly when it's going up. It happens starting from all floors I think. And, it occurs every single time.

What happens exactly is someone presses a button. The car jerks a little and then moves to the desired floor. Then, there is a wait for a few minutes. And, then the door opens.

Today, the car's safety got triggered and they were working on it all day to get it off. This is an office building so it's been a nightmare with the tenants screaming bloody murder.

Trust me. We don't cut any corners and make sure that the elevator professional does all the work. We sign off on all work that they suggest. We definitely want this to be done the right way.

And, thanks so much for everyone's help. Hugely appreciated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@WorkingSuper)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Sorry for the 2 separate threads. I didn't realize it would make it confusing.

I closed the other one and will answer questions on this one.

Here is the brief summary of the history.

Starting from 1.5 years ago, the safety would constantly trigger. Perhaps, several times a month. It would cause the elevator to be shut down for about a day, sometimes longer depending where the elevator's position was. But, every single time, it looks like there would be too much slack in the cable.

The techs couldn't figure out the cause. We've put in a heater in the oil, polished the rails, replaced the packing, etc. Along the way, we also replaced several electrical components in the controller. This improved the elevator immensely. Instead of breaking down several times a month, it now breaks down perhaps every month or 2. A big improvement but still not sufficient since this is an office building.

Starting from 2 weeks ago, the elevator started to jerking around a bit. The oil flow was adjusted and the heat on the heating element was reduced slightly. This helped with the jerking but there still was a long pause. The same pause that I explained earlier.

Yesterday morning, the elevator's safety was triggered and the techs worked all day to put the elevator back on. They are working on it today.

The elevator company still have no idea why the elevator is acting the way it does. I guess that's the most important because once the elevator is back and running, it's only going to break down again if we can't figure out the source of the problem.



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Is this a roped hydraulic elevator?



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Is this a roped hydraulic elevator? Or do you have an over speed collar on the jack head?



   
ReplyQuote
(@cucuvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dover elevator have some issues with the oil vicosity in their valves, with oil cold , need more information.



   
ReplyQuote
(@JustWolf)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Safties applied? or Gov switch tripped? or both? Safties applied, dog hanging up? Jacks out of synch, one packing tighter than the other racking the car. Gov switch is overspeed. You may have more than 1 issue. Jerking could be the above, then shutdown. Hesitating leaving the floor could be this if the hung up dog drops, but highly unlikely.



   
ReplyQuote
 koss
(@koss)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Car going off on up,,sounds like either valve block is needing looked at, or dodgy contactor,,,can't be governor as only work on down,,and can't be rupture valve either as same,,then again,,,if guys have been working on it, and it goes off again, I would be asking serious questions as to why the can't find out what's going on,,and keep pushing them,,indeed, tell them to get their technician in,,as long as they pay for it!



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: koss
Car going off on up,,sounds like either valve block is needing looked at, or dodgy contactor,,,can't be governor as only work on down,,and can't be rupture valve either as same,,then again,,,if guys have been working on it, and it goes off again, I would be asking serious questions as to why the can't find out what's going on,,and keep pushing them,,indeed, tell them to get their technician in,,as long as they pay for it!

Yeah I agree. The pause when levelling in sounds like its levelling in really slow. You could prove this by either do what we have for centuries and that is just staring at the job for ages or fix a temp camera on record on the car to record movement( have done this on a really intermittent fault!!). It sounds like the levelling valve but then again if the down is ok when levelling that seems maybe not( if it is common to both directions). Is the up stop transducer functioning? Is the lift actually level and the doors aren't just opening?

It also sounds like 2 faults really. When you say safties I take it you mean safety gear? It seems to me it shouldn't take all day to get these out unless they are really slamming in or are right at the top of the shaft. Its usually quite easy to bump it up to unlock them. What about burs in the rails or loose rails as well?

Finally I would suggest you have a comprehensive lift contract as in this way they are obliged to attend for free to all callouts and it wont cost you a cent.



   
ReplyQuote
(@WorkingSuper)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hey, guys. Thanks for all the help. Had a long day and just got in.

john jay - yep...it's a roped hydraulic. Not sure if I have an overspeed collar.

it sometimes takes all day to get it off the safety because it happens on the top floor. This time, it got stuck on the top floor and they stated that something snapped.

Additionally, they said the temp sensor in the oil tank broke and they replaced it. They said this is common every 5 years.

But, they still don't know why the safety keeps going off.

They said they will be replacing the old contactor. They say that the only thing they can do is keep fixing it and keep going by baby steps.

From what you guys are saying, it really could be a number of things and best way is to get the professional to figure it out. The problem is they can't seem to do it. I'm really loyal and so I've been sticking with the present company for a while but I really need to get this elevator running...

Do you guys suggest a certain way to resolve this? For example, would hiring an elevator engineer to consult with present elevator company help? Or is there a certain type of company I should be using? Like union as opposed to non-union? Or should the techs have certain type of accreditations?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys. You guys have been great...



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share:
Scroll to Top