Elevator Forum

Control Unit Repair...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Control Unit Repairs

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
9,714 Views
(@Tony_EMW)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#7932]
Where do you guys get your control units repaired ? We are 25 years repairing washing machine controls and would like to have a look at a few lift controls. We are used to working with microcontrollers and eeproms (Hotpoint alone use over 14000 different eeproms in their controls). Some of your units look a bit expensive, especially the obsolete modules. No doubt there are quite a few repairers in the UK.



   
Quote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We repair our own



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I think you're barking up the wrong tree here chap. I'm pretty sure an elevator controller would require a bit more technically challenging components than a tub of water spinning around smelly soiled underwear. Lol



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yeah a washer machine doesn't move people up and down and open and close the doors...



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Liability city.......



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
lol



   
ReplyQuote
(@Tony_EMW)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Well our main business is microcontroller control. We also repair CNC industrial controls in other areas and computer motherboards. Looking at photos of lift control modules, they don't look anything special - a microprocessor, eeprom, relays, triacs, fuses etc Only thing special is the huge prices for modules !! Well if all you guys repair your own boards, then I can only guess that not only are you experts at mechanical installation but also electronics to degree level.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sccjr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yup we are.



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
would you like to have your washing machine repaired by an elevator company? I feel sure we could do it. I'll ask that question the next time I get on a home appliance forum.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Tony_EMW)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hmmm .... I'm sensing a cosy cartel here. No wonder the prices are sky high



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Being that peoples lives are in our hands vary rarely do we fix boards in the field. We replace with new or send the board back to the manufacture for repair. Saving a few bucks by trying to find a cheaper repair isn't in our play book. We are the safest form of transportation for a reason we don't cut corners to save a few bucks.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Tony, firstly most of the time our controllers are fixed to the motor rooms and will only require from time to time module changes and repairs. Not only are mechanical experts but we are electrical and electronic experts to varying degrees as well. Most of the time it's more cost effective( and in some companies its policy) to be board jockeys ie swap and go. in the smaller companies we try to repair the board/modules ourselves but still its best to swap the modules with new/repaired units from the manufacturers. Generally if its an easy fix you do it, if not you swap it. You would then send the units back for a swap with a discount for the old unit. I don't think you realise that we can in a lot of instances repair our electronic stuff ourselves. We have however used 3rd party people when the units are out of production so you could have an opening there.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I personally have a "minor" electronics degree and many hours of manufacturers specific and continuing education classes under my belt. I wouldn't say and have never claimed that makes me a master mechanic, but it has sure helped me understand the basic functionality of my trades' technology. So am I qualified to cut in on your field of business and fix maytags? Share some mutual respect pal. I don't remember complaining about the cost to fix my LG to anyone.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top