Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
This thread seems to get a ton of traffic, it must be a coming up as a top link in google or something, hopefully its helped some prospective helpers out. Started it over a year ago, so I figured now would be a good time to update my progress.

I originally got hired on in local 133 (Austin, TX) and they had a hard time keeping the probationary apprentices working. I got laid off shortly after acquiring everything I needed to be sworn in and get off probation (thank god). I was still laid off after being sworn in, so decided to seek work in Dallas where I'm originally from. This didn't take long and you gotta love DFW for having so much opportunity.

Going back to work for Thyssen's fort worth location (first day is tomorrow, not looking forward to that drive from north dallas) but I can't complain. Seems like they are desperate for helpers right now. I know some of the mechanics on this forum are working in this local, I can only hope to be put to work under one of them knowing I might learn a great deal.

I might like to permanently transfer to the DFW local 21, but that takes 6 months of permanent residency before they're even able to consider it. Hopefully I can stay employed until that point, though transients are probably the first to go during lay offs.

All in all, I'm a bit over 1000 hours into the trade so I'm still totally lacking in experience. I can tell you that being an elevator constructor is absolutely the most fun trade, and one of the hardest working on a job. You will get dirty, hot, cold, tired, sore, and pissed off. Some days will suck, some days will be easier than others.

You will earn your pay in this trade, and considering the package you receive in this trade, you should expect to work hard for it.

Anyways, I hope people continue to find this thread because it really covers the entire process for someone trying to break into this union. Some of the probies in this thread that got hired with me have already given up and quit, so when you pass your test and ace your interview, know that the veterans of this trade you go to work with will be what makes or breaks you.

Last edited by Solution; 08/05/15 04:24 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@e311)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 363
 
Say howdee to Ken M. and Clay S. over there, if you can work with those two guys, you will learn a lot 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
Gentlemen I finally got the call. Gotta go Weds to the drug testing and then start on Friday. Man I've been waiting for this seems like forever now. Thank ya GOD!



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
congratulations man... good luck



   
ReplyQuote
(@jsch96)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Hey guys! This thread has awesome insight as to what to expect when going through the whole process. Took my EIAT for local 132 (Madison WI) and reading what others experienced calmed the nerves a bit. Doesn't help with waiting for the test results though... Hopefully of all goes well I'll be getting an interview! But yeah thanks to Solution specifically for starting this and everyone else who has chimed in!



   
ReplyQuote
(@jsch96)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
So I passed the test, as everyone said it was all common sense. Now the interview is scheduled for the 17th. Are there any documents you would suggest bringing along? Also does anyone know how far away from the local you are allowed to live, and even if distance is allowed will they still have an issue with it?

Last edited by jsch96; 11/30/15 08:55 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@xxxblazexxx)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 150
 
Glad you passed. Now learn everything you can with the mechanics you work with. Then at home learn even more from literature. But hands on will be the best learning experience. As far as union stuff I have no idea. Congrats and welcome to the elevator tech community.



   
ReplyQuote
(@justwolf)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 144
 
Some days chickens, some days feathers, as to where you live. If you live in the sticks, you could end up working in the city till your apprenticeship is up or you could be working 75 miles in either direction from your house. if you live N,S,E,or W of town, it won't matter, more than likely you'll end up working in the opposite direction than you think. Be to work on time, if you like cats, don't be late because the cat crossed the road.

Good Luck.



   
ReplyQuote
(@justwolf)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 144
 
Some days chickens, some days feathers, as to where you live. If you live in the sticks, you could end up working in the city till your apprenticeship is up or you could be working 75 miles in either direction from your house. if you live N,S,E,or W of town, it won't matter, more than likely you'll end up working in the opposite direction than you think. Be to work on time, if you like cats, don't be late because the cat crossed the road.

Good Luck.



   
ReplyQuote
(@jsch96)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Just an update I had my interview yesterday. It was very short, 15 minutes max. All very deep work related questions. I was nervous as heck but my two interviewers were very nice. They had five teams of interviewers taking about 70 candidates in total and 3 of the major 4 companies had interviewers there. It was very interesting. No set date that I'll here back by but I'm praying for the best, and crossing my fingers I aced with flying colors. To help others prepare for their future interviews you really have to go on the web and practice se standard interview questions relatable to the workplace. Also if you haven't done research as to what you may be getting into as an elevator mechanic that could potentially look poorly. For me I'll be checking my email 30 times a day for like two weeks straight and as soon as I hear back I'll let you guys know how I did.
Thanks to all for the help so far!



   
ReplyQuote
(@jsch96)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
I got my results, and I'm rather bummed but there's always next recruitment. I passed the interview but was ranked 39. Clearly I didn't wow the interviewers, So by the looks of things I doubt they'll get to 39 before opening up another period. Maybe they will, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and I'll definitely keep calling from time to time to see where they are at. Thanks again for all the help!



   
ReplyQuote
(@greenpants)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 276
 
With the way work is booming in most parts of the country 39 doesn't seem too bad. A lot of people on that list are not as excited as you are and will drop off for any number of reasons.

Good luck!



   
ReplyQuote
(@xxxblazexxx)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 150
 
You could apply at a non Union Company. There are good ones out there. Who knows, you might even have a more enjoyable career with one. 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@jsch96)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Such things exist?? I never even knew that. I'll have to do a little research to find one.



   
ReplyQuote
(@coltyo)
New Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1
 
Hey, I applied to Local 38 In Salt Lake city and interviewed in December. I got placed at 28 out of 70 or 80 applicants. I feel pretty good about it. Now I guess it's just time to wait. Hopefully work is good over there. Anybody here from SLC?



   
ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top