Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@cedartop)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Haven't heard from the band of apprentices lately. How's it going thus far?

Last edited by cedartop; 01/06/16 05:39 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: cedartop
Haven't heard from the band of apprentices lately. How's it going thus far?

Back working in Austin (local 133), and now in the Mod department. I like it a lot, and prefer it over construction so far. Finished my first semester of school which was pretty easy. All in all things are going well, but you start to realize just how much you still don't know, and sometimes feel like you'll never figure it all out.

Also a heads up to anyone trying to get in, they are now testing incoming applicants on hand tools. An example would be Klien's, which are actually linemans pliers and/or side cutters I believe, or dykes which are actually diagonal cutters.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cedartop)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
I have an interview at the end of the month in NYC. In the meantime, I've been working toward a certificate in basic electronics. Doesn't look like I'll have it complete by then, but hopefully working on it will be considered better than nothing. 1600 applied, so I can use all the credentials I can get! 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@sparkling-walter)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
I have my interview tomorrow! Having just a liiiittle bit of trouble concentrating at work today.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cedartop)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Good luck, Sparky! We're both gonna continue to have trouble concentrating until our results come in!



   
ReplyQuote
(@sparkling-walter)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Thanks Cedartop! About to head out now!



   
ReplyQuote
(@sparkling-walter)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
How'd your interview go Cedartop? Mine felt like it went very well. I'm supposed to find out where I stand in a couple of weeks.



   
ReplyQuote
(@cedartop)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
I was very impressed with the questions. Two interviewers, and they both made me feel very comfortable. Overall, went better than I expected.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
anymore or new news from the 133, Austin, Texas? i interviewed 11/14, and at the time was #3 behind the lay-offs. last i heard, the last of the lay-offs were back and im one of the next on the list. but if anyone here is part of the local 133 or another Texas local, could you possibly answer some questions for me, as when i call and try to talk to the union rep, he's always rushed and busy. im trying to make my final decision as to whether i will take the position or not. i truly want to take it, but i will be leaving a 50k+ a year job with good bene's and LOTS of job security

what is base-pay, and when/how do raises work?
ive seen alot of lay-offs here, how busy do apprentices stay?
how much are and how often are due's collected?

nd any and all other advice and help is truly appreciated. if it makes a difference, i applied through the H2H program



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Apprentices start out at just under $19 here in Austin (after probation $20-$21, then just under $25 by the time you hit second year). Mechanics are making 37+ an hour currently, likely to go up after the next contract if cost of living in Austin is accounted for.

You are not sworn in until 6 months and/or 1000 hours (last I checked), up until that point any layoffs that occur are forced on the probies, then the first year apprentices, thereafter there is no longer an order (you can layoff a 4th year apprentice before a 2nd year, but not before a first year or proby).

Work in Austin is good, that is why the bench has recently been cleared. Mod work is really blowing up, and I'm sure construction is chugging along just fine. Layoffs do happen, but depending on your value, your tenure, and what department you work in, the risk of layoffs can be greatly reduced. There are guys who haven't been laid off in decades. Also, if you are willing to travel, there is usually work to be found outside your local.

Dues are quarterly, and are a few hundred dollars.

The realistic advice is that if you are making comfortable money with decent benefits already, you might regret your decision the moment you find yourself in the freezing cold in construction slinging rails (heavy lifting). There are many many different facets to this trade and as a new helper you could find yourself in any number of situations that you could love or hate.

Good luck either way, and I wouldn't be surprised if you get a call to work from our BA pretty soon.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Yeah, that's my current dilemma. I don't hate what I do, but it's also not a challenge anymore. And I'm about topped out money wise. I really do like the idea of getting into the trade, as it seems like a very diverse and ever evolving career. I work in the tire industry, so I already deal with weather, which sucks but it wouldn't be aby different than I deal with now. My greatest concern was the layoffs, my father was a union carpenter for decades in chicago, as was my whole family, so the crash in 08-09 just lingers in my head when I hear "layoff"

Swriously, thank you for answering my questions, it's very appreciated. Can I bother you with another? How is vacation accrued, and do you get any as a apprentice?



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Also, my main apprehension is that I was told I have to report within 24 hours once I'm called, and that I wouldn't be able to put in my 2 weeks notice. Is that true? If I could give proper notice, I would feel exponentially better as worst case scenario I'd have a place to come back to.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: Bansheeman6100
Also, my main apprehension is that I was told I have to report within 24 hours once I'm called, and that I wouldn't be able to put in my 2 weeks notice. Is that true? If I could give proper notice, I would feel exponentially better as worst case scenario I'd have a place to come back to.

As a proby, they are hiring you as a last resort. There are literally no other options available to them, and they simply need the man power now. So I don't see a situation in which a 2-week notice would be available to you.

Layoffs are just part of the industry. I will reiterate that many people in this trade have great job stability. Those same people happen to be very smart, possess great work ethic, show up on time, and are generally great people. As with every local, there are people who just show up for a check and don't put in the effort. Who do you think gets laid off first? What type of person do you think you are? These questions will go a long way in answering your fears about layoffs.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ma70d)
New Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 3
 
Almost six months in for me thus far, on mods with the biggest independent in the region.

Love. It. Additionally, owner says "You'll be a mechanic before we're done with all our current work" which I take as quite a good sign. Hah.

This career choice was the best decision of my life. Absolutely no idea how so many 50s wash out.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: MA70D
Almost six months in for me thus far, on mods with the biggest independent in the region.

Love. It. Additionally, owner says "You'll be a mechanic before we're done with all our current work" which I take as quite a good sign. Hah.

This career choice was the best decision of my life. Absolutely no idea how so many 50s wash out.

Thats encouraging to hear, as I'm heavily Leaning towards making the leap when I get the call. And what do you mean by 50s?



   
ReplyQuote
Page 23 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top