Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@cedartop)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Someone mentioned 50 percenters earlier. 2 year apprentices, maybe?



   
ReplyQuote
(@sparkling-walter)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Well...got my results and I'm ranked in the mid-90s. Disappointing as I came out of the interview feeling like it went so well. We'll see if I even get the call within the 2-year cutoff.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sparkling-walter)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Originally Posted By: Bansheeman6100
And what do you mean by 50s?

50% wages - people on probation.



   
ReplyQuote
(@4mersparky209)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 7
 
What's up all.I've been lurking this thread since I signed up for the local 8 last Jan. I got ranked 115 in May and got called to work for schindler last month in N.I. so 90 doesn't sound too bad but construction is booming here. My union rep said that 8/10 guys he calls turn down the offer or quit within a week I don't know why cause I love this job so far. If anyone has any questions for a 50 % proby I'll try to answer



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: sparkling walter
Originally Posted By: Bansheeman6100
And what do you mean by 50s?

50% wages - people on probation.

gotcha. Now, does that mean 50% of a mechanics wage? I'm assuming so, the numbers about line up. But that only lasts what, 6 months until you become an actual apprentice?

Last edited by Bansheeman6100; 02/17/16 08:45 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
I think a new apprentice is still considered probationary for 1 year but salary changes after around 6 months.



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
Originally Posted By: sparkling walter
Well...got my results and I'm ranked in the mid-90s. Disappointing as I came out of the interview feeling like it went so well. We'll see if I even get the call within the 2-year cutoff.

Like someone else said, people turn down offers for many reasons (stability in their current job, moved, etc., I've heard it from mulitiple coordinators.

I believe Connecticut had an intake of applications for the electricians trade around the same time as your interview. Some people on your list could be on that list as well and might take the first offer they get.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Also, how long does it take to become vested for your pension? And what are points currently worth



   
ReplyQuote
(@4mersparky209)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 7
 
Probation is a year. 1-6 months=50% mech. wage. 7-12 months=55%, your benefits kick in and you can start school. the next steps are then 65%, 70%, and 80% moving up as you pass your classes



   
ReplyQuote
(@4mersparky209)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 7
 
oh, and about 3 weeks after your hired you get a packet in the mail requiring you to complete a probationary course online. it takes like 6 months because there are six courses broken down by month and you cant just blow through them because each course is made available monthly



   
ReplyQuote
(@cedartop)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Which local did you apply for? I haven't heard back from mine yet.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: cedartop
Which local did you apply for? I haven't heard back from mine yet.

133, austin, texas. I interviewed 11/14



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Hey sorry I have been off the grid..I have been busy with finishing up school and other things...I got out of the trade back in July...I decided to go back to my old Job..I had way to much Invested in my 401k and I would have had to pick which job I wanted to keep...
It was a decent experience.. Your mileage may vary depending on your company.. I did mods for a company here in Austin...we had the University of Texas Elevators and a ton of surrounding projects..mods is very different from new construction, it's faster pace and harder to learn.It would be hard for me to pass on a 50k a year job if it was stable..but that is my opinion .my current company is ALOT more flexible on my schedule so I can finish my BS and move on higher up with my current company...the benefits are actually better than the elevators Union but not by much.

Good luck.work safe.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: skilledbutcher73
Hey sorry I have been off the grid..I have been busy with finishing up school and other things...I got out of the trade back in July...I decided to go back to my old Job..I had way to much Invested in my 401k and I would have had to pick which job I wanted to keep...
It was a decent experience.. Your mileage may vary depending on your company.. I did mods for a company here in Austin...we had the University of Texas Elevators and a ton of surrounding projects..mods is very different from new construction, it's faster pace and harder to learn.It would be hard for me to pass on a 50k a year job if it was stable..but that is my opinion .my current company is ALOT more flexible on my schedule so I can finish my BS and move on higher up with my current company...the benefits are actually better than the elevators Union but not by much.

Good luck.work safe.

thanks for the opinion, I appreciate it a lot. It's going to be a tough decision when I get the call, that's forsure. I will be at aboit $56k this summer, but that is topped out. I get 5 weeks PTO as well. I'm comfortable where I'm at, but the idea of this field really does excite me. A close friend from church is who got me to apply, he did 40 years in the 133, and his son is going on 25 years. He also had his own company that he sold off as well when he retired, but he has nothing but good things to say about both the job and the union. The lure of a pension also is a bog consideration.

Does the union, or the companies offer PTO? and will they allow unpaid time off



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Well sort of...you get 2 checks during the year...one in Jan and one in july with your accrued time off.If you take off time you do NOT get paid for that week,this is why they send out the 2 checks every year.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 24 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top