Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
But the checks twice a year do not come till after you get sworn in...so your first six months, including if you get laid off , will sort of suck because you really shouldn't take time off as a proby... You CAN take time off but it's usually up to the boss.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: skilledbutcher73
Well sort of...you get 2 checks during the year...one in Jan and one in july with your accrued time off.If you take off time you do NOT get paid for that week,this is why they send out the 2 checks every year.

So if you don't take the week off, you basically get a bonus check it seems



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: skilledbutcher73
But the checks twice a year do not come till after you get sworn in...so your first six months, including if you get laid off , will sort of suck because you really shouldn't take time off as a proby... You CAN take time off but it's usually up to the boss.

of course not, I'm just looking long term wise. I asked cause I know my father and family never had any PTO in the carpenters or laborers union



   
ReplyQuote
(@justwolf)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 144
 
No work no pay. No it is not a BONUS check. You will be required to take 3 weeks off, and 5 single days off. If the Local your in enforces the rule. So save that Vacation check to manage when you take it. There is also a elevator 401K and a annuity once you make it through your probationary period.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Yeah just be careful....I had booked my wedding and they called me 2 days after I got back from my wedding..I guess I got lucky. I wish they would be more flexible on calling probys out to work,especially if you are working on THAT day u get called...and just a heads up....they do lay off mechanics during the holidays...they laid off literally every mechanic but 2 during November and December ...they just had no projects going on on Austin but little repair and maintenance around the University. Almost all the guys I have worked with have side jobs that they can fall back on when it happens.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: JustWolf
No work no pay. No it is not a BONUS check. You will be required to take 3 weeks off, and 5 single days off. If the Local your in enforces the rule. So save that Vacation check to manage when you take it. There is also a elevator 401K and a annuity once you make it through your probationary period.

ok, that explanation clears that up, thank you



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: Bansheeman6100
Originally Posted By: JustWolf
No work no pay. No it is not a BONUS check. You will be required to take 3 weeks off, and 5 single days off. If the Local your in enforces the rule. So save that Vacation check to manage when you take it. There is also a elevator 401K and a annuity once you make it through your probationary period.

ok, that explanation clears that up, thank you. And the pension is still an active benefit, which is vested after 5 years correct?



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Banshee do yourself a favor and get into contact with your personal sources who recommended the union to you. Most of the people in this thread, myself included, do not have much experience in the trade so far.

If you have any questions about how local 133 works feel free to PM me, but just as an example, skilledbutcher and I were hired into the trade around the same time, and from what I can tell have both had vastly different experiences.

There is a degree of luck when getting hired as to whether you find yourself in a good spot or not, because as a new guy you do not control your fate at all.

Where are you on our list if you don't mind me asking?



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: Solution
Banshee do yourself a favor and get into contact with your personal sources who recommended the union to you. Most of the people in this thread, myself included, do not have much experience in the trade so far.

If you have any questions about how local 133 works feel free to PM me, but just as an example, skilledbutcher and I were hired into the trade around the same time, and from what I can tell have both had vastly different experiences.

There is a degree of luck when getting hired as to whether you find yourself in a good spot or not, because as a new guy you do not control your fate at all.

Where are you on our list if you don't mind me asking?

my main POC has been out for over 10 years, and most of his contacts are now out as well. And according to the union I should be the next on the list



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
I've been working in Nashville Local 93 since October. We have been slammed with new construction. All of our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year apprentices have been upgraded to mechanic. I've been in construction the entire time. Started on Traction and now I've been doing hyros for the past few months. Since I hired in we've had about 6 or 7 new hires quit. I've compared it to basic training in construction. These guys just want to test you physically, mentally, and emotionally. Just stick it out and get that union card and you'll be fine.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Yeah man I'm not trying to get u to not take the job...it is a great job, however ,I think all first year probys need to know that not everything is set in stone..the construction manager at my first company told the new hires there was TONS of work...then literally a month later they laid off a pretty big number of us...like 8 or so and some mechanics..
Some of them took 5 or 6 months to get called back to work ..Just be careful if you have a family or mortgage or car note to pay... Nothing is guaranteed in this trade .



   
ReplyQuote
(@coconut)
New Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 2
 
Originally Posted By: 4mersparky209
What's up all.I've been lurking this thread since I signed up for the local 8 last Jan. I got ranked 115 in May and got called to work for schindler last month in N.I. so 90 doesn't sound too bad but construction is booming here. My union rep said that 8/10 guys he calls turn down the offer or quit within a week I don't know why cause I love this job so far. If anyone has any questions for a 50 % proby I'll try to answer

I applied to local 1 and just got my results today. I am ranked in the lower half of the 100s, a bit disappointing because I thought my interview went very well. But 4merspary209's post makes me feel better about still potentially getting called before the list expires. I know it's all a waiting game at this point, but local 1 is one of the largest locals and construction is picking up in NYC, so here's hoping! Anyone know how far down the list they made it in the last recruitment?

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and thanks to all the posters in this thread because it was pretty helpful during the whole process.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: titans
I've been working in Nashville Local 93 since October. We have been slammed with new construction. All of our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year apprentices have been upgraded to mechanic. I've been in construction the entire time. Started on Traction and now I've been doing hyros for the past few months. Since I hired in we've had about 6 or 7 new hires quit. I've compared it to basic training in construction. These guys just want to test you physically, mentally, and emotionally. Just stick it out and get that union card and you'll be fine.

well i made it through Army BCT, so i think i will make it through. what would you recomend a newbie study on before starting the job?



   
ReplyQuote
(@nick9437)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
"I applied to local 1 and just got my results today. I am ranked in the lower half of the 100s"

In NYC... How low in the 100s? I know in Chicago there was 17xish guys called off the list in two years. So you have a shot, just might take some time.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sparkling-walter)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
local 91 in CT



   
ReplyQuote
Page 25 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top