Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@displayname)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 20
 
Hello,
Hope all is well. On the list here in Boston. This is my second time around on the list. Got my number on 2/2/16....Very low 100's, they are already up to #23. Lots of construction going on and hear a lot more is coming. I'm coming from a desk job so this is going to be real different....and exciting. My problem is that I have decent job with decent pay.....and obviously much safer, but this line of work does interest me. Not sure what to do at this point. I have to decide soon. I will admit, reading about the few deaths lately doesn't help....but again, the career seems to call my name.



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
That's interesting, did you keep the same number you had on the first list and what number did they get to on that list?



   
ReplyQuote
(@displayname)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 20
 
No. The first time around I was in the high 200's out of around 600. I believe they got up to around 160 on that list before the 2 years were up.



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
I see, so it looks like you're in a much better position this time around. #23 in a month, maybe the winter is deterring people or companies held out for the new list? Regardless, I'm in a very similar situation to you, low 100's on Boston's list.

And having a safe desk job with decent pay doesn't sound like a problem but a good back up in case there are lengthy layoffs or for whatever reason you decide not to continue in the trade. I hope I can get some more job experience to fall back on in a situation like that.



   
ReplyQuote
(@displayname)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 20
 
So, you're on the Boston lost as well? Nice, good luck to you.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Spoke to my local yesterday, and I'm 4th in the list. The last 2 they called turned down the position



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
Originally Posted By: Bansheeman6100
Spoke to my local yesterday, and I'm 4th in the list. The last 2 they called turned down the position

So were there lay offs that moved you to 4th after you were told you were next on the list?



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
Anyone know if you are injured as a probie, whether on the job or off, are you put back in some queue after you heal up or removed from the list?

I assume they move on to the next candidate before you even make it to a doctor, but happens afterwards. Trying to gauge how insecure the probie phase is.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: ElecTech
Originally Posted By: Bansheeman6100
Spoke to my local yesterday, and I'm 4th in the list. The last 2 they called turned down the position

So were there lay offs that moved you to 4th after you were told you were next on the list?

Thats my assumption, I didn't want to ruffle any feathers so I didn't pry too much. I know 1 ahead of me turned it down because he got hired by Otis in another state, and the other came to the realization that he has a fear of heights lol



   
ReplyQuote
(@john-charles5456)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 6
 
So I've been following this thread for 3 months now and it has been very helpful. I passed my test and i have an interview on April 5th. no one has really covered what kind of questions do they ask in the interview??

for example:
-"Tell me about yourself" "What are your greatest weaknesses" "tell me of a time you had to work under pressure" "why should we hire you"



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
Originally Posted By: John_Charles5456
no one has really covered what kind of questions do they ask in the interview??

I think because nobody wants to help someone to appear more qualified than they actually are at the interview.



   
ReplyQuote
(@john-charles5456)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 6
 
You have a good point. But shouldn't that be what the test was for? I know I would be fit for the job, I've always loved working on cars and hands on and this job would be an exciting career for me. The only problem is, im bad at interviews, I get nervous and choke up and stumble over my words. but that doesn't mean im not capable of doing the job. I just have bad anxiety when it comes to interviews. after that I have really good work ethics. Every manager who has hired me would back that up.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
They really are just basic questions like are scared of heights, do you mind being around loose wires and cramped areas...how did u hear about iuec and how do u get along with others...stuff like that...I know a few guy who failed the interview and they answered the questions pretty much the same as I did,so I really don't know how they grade the interviews.



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
Originally Posted By: John_Charles5456
The only problem is, im bad at interviews, I get nervous and choke up and stumble over my words. but that doesn't mean im not capable of doing the job. I just have bad anxiety when it comes to interviews.

As do you have a good point. I think I might be in somewhat the same boat as you so I won't bother give you interview pointers since they'd be useless. However, I did the interview twice. I did much better on the first one. Preperation for the interview won't necessarily help.



   
ReplyQuote
(@john-charles5456)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 6
 
Thanks! that makes me feel better. Hopefully my interview will be a breeze.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 26 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top