I agree that there is more to a mechanic then how high he scores on a written test. I am also in favor of continuos education. I do have a suggestion I would value your opinion on. Maybe there is something out there like it already even?
My suggestion is to develope a computer program to work as follows;
The program would have several sections that have a short training video with a question & answer section at the end. If a question is answered incorrectly that section will have to be reviewed again before you could move to the next section. Once you completed each section and answered each sections questions correctly you are done.
This could be a web based program that each mechanic could complete at the office or on the road. It could be done annually, bi-annually, quarterly or as frequently as deemed. This type of program could easily be adopted as a accredited continuos education by National or State jurisdiction.
Feel free to tell me that "my cheese has slid off my cracker". Or expand on this concept.
But for start ups on new construction and mods, when you have everything jumped out, just to get a running platform, to install hatch equipment, etc...I can see where it could become a real Pain in the A$$....
No matter what your ideas on this subject, it all boils down to if you're going to use a jumper, have control of the car, the doors, make sure no passengers are aboard.
If you must...Car in overhead, etc...make sure you are in constant contact with passengers..
.And lastly..Jumper awareness...Know how many you had when you walk in that room, and have the same number when you leave.
I agree that there is more to a mechanic then how high he scores on a written test. I am also in favor of continuos education. I do have a suggestion I would value your opinion on. Maybe there is something out there like it already even?
My suggestion is to develope a computer program to work as follows;
The program would have several sections that have a short training video with a question & answer section at the end. If a question is answered incorrectly that section will have to be reviewed again before you could move to the next section. Once you completed each section and answered each sections questions correctly you are done.
This could be a web based program that each mechanic could complete at the office or on the road. It could be done annually, bi-annually, quarterly or as frequently as deemed. This type of program could easily be adopted as a accredited continuos education by National or State jurisdiction.
Feel free to tell me that "my cheese has slid off my cracker". Or expand on this concept.
jkh good idea as its similar to some site induction courses ive have to do. you could adapt such programs to suit different types of employees as well.
But for start ups on new construction and mods, when you have everything jumped out, just to get a running platform, to install hatch equipment, etc...I can see where it could become a real Pain in the A$$....
No matter what your ideas on this subject, it all boils down to if you're going to use a jumper, have control of the car, the doors, make sure no passengers are aboard.
If you must...Car in overhead, etc...make sure you are in constant contact with passengers..
.And lastly..Jumper awareness...Know how many you had when you walk in that room, and have the same number when you leave.
yes broke. otis used jumper kits with your name on them and outlawed use of other shorts. however this does not stop mistakes. i still like the idea of short signs on the inside m/room door that you slide on or turn over when you have placed a short on a controller to remind you when you leave. with a mrl maybe place it on the outside door.
I too have had this type of corse before entering a industrial site. B