Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Another Death

54 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
116 K Views
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#2165]
Another person killed today in New York!!!! As a women stepped onto the elevator at her work the car ran up with her in the opening, crushing her to death. Another tragedy, another instance of an elevator moving with the doors open. This is the nightmare of every competent elevator professional. When will unintended movement protection devices be mandated? When will we, as elevator professionals, speak out and declair that most of these accidents could be avoided by the use of existing technology. I am the inventor of the Time out Jumper, a device that has been available to our industry for over two years that would end jumper left behind accidents. Sadly my device has been ignored by the vast majority of our industry. Not even a mention as an option in the jumper safety programs that are mandatory yearly safety topics! And at the same time the manufacturers of elevator controllers strive to produce a jumperless product because they fully understand how dangerous misused or forgotten jumpers can be. I applaued their efforts, but with the vast majority of elevators being jumper dependant, the jumper will be part of every techicians kit for years to come. Speak out! Teach the new guys the safe way! Live to collect your pention! Protect the public!



   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Amen, brother!
Kudos to you for inventing the time-out jumper. Did you sell the idea, or are you marketing them yourself? Might wanna write to Debra Tudor in Ca, head of the State Elevator Unit.

If rope grippers and door restrictors were made retroactive to existing installations, many lives could be saved.



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You guy's don't even know the facts of the accident. It just happened! You already assume a jumper was left on a controller. I will say, we most likely will never know the TRUE cause! I agree this is BAD for our trade....Does anyone know the type of controls in this building! Original or Mod!

Last edited by halfpick; 12/15/11 01:45 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@selfproclaimed)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Swift controller/geerless machine
And lets not jump to any conclusions about jumpers.
It's a sad and unfortunate accident that is being investigated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree selfproclaimed....



   
ReplyQuote
(@itsallgood)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I completely agree. I think code should require door lock monitoring on all existing equipment as well as new. Anytime car door is on open limit, door lock and gate circuit should be out. If not, (and car is not on inspection) shut down car ! This is such an easy and cheap circuit to add to older units that don't already have it. It wouldn't address all scenarios, but would go a long way.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Please reread my post I do not know how this accident occured and agree most of the time we will never learn the truth. My main point is that if unintended motion protection was mandated these accidents would stop. If they were caused by jumpers-- loss of traction or broken drive machine. The other point I was trying to make is the fact that safety devices like my jumper are not even being taught as an added option to jumper safety! I teamed up with Wurtec to get this product to market to help prevent injury and death.



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sorry Dan, I guess I read into your post alittle. I'm personally woundn't use the time-out jumper. I even feel the 4" restrictor causes more problems than good. I do think the ascending car protection is long overdue...Just my opinion!



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I do not understand why a safety improvement would be undesirable. A jumper that times out is obviosly safer than one that does not.



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
They still have no idea what the cause was? Your assuming a jumper. If a jumper is left on a control for even 1 seconds with car in service it can kill someone depending on what is jumped. And if it were the doorlocks (2) jumpers may have had to be used. Gaining control of the unit is the protocol and I would think never jumping out doorlocks while car is in automatic or full service! If you just put a car back into service? And the time-out jumper was programmed for 15 minutes....If you get killed on that unit 10 minutes later? Are you any less dead!Have you met ever possible safety protocol.The answer is NO! You left the time-out jumper on. Procedures are what keep you safe not thinking your covered because your using a timed out jumper. You are right in this case it may have prevented a death...I agree.

Last edited by halfpick; 12/16/11 08:15 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Either way, I feel very sorry for the the lady and her family. Can't imagine how the mechanic is feeling if it was human error. A very sad situation!



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Let me say again I do not know what caused this accident. And i agree that proper proceadures are the only way to prevent accidents. The intent of the Time Out Jumper is not to bypass any current training or safety protacol but to add one more level of protection for the public and mechanics who work on elevators. When you have spent 4 years and blood sweat and tears to help protect the public and my brothers in our trade to see anyone hurt is personal to me. And considering another man may be sentenced to 25 years in jail for the misuse of a jumper I will do my best to help fellow elevator men to be protected from what could be an honest mistake. Anyone who has been in a machine room at 4AM with sick kids at home and another call to go can make a mistake. If I can help one family I will try.



   
ReplyQuote
(@VerticalTechNY)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Funny how the IUEC pushes for a license and mentions how only Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo require elevator men to have a license. That in itself is a joke. Every single mechanic and helper were grandfathered in and handed licenses in Syracuse, The only people who take the actual test are the people who hold installers licenses, which someone in the company must hold in order to do work in Syracuse. Yes, I hold an installers license, and while at TKE, every employee worked under my license. Wonder what kind of lawsuit I was looking at if some grandfathered idiot at TKE killed someone while working under my license? Just another way for the IUEC to try to keep independent non-union companies out. Try actually maintaining elevators and doing quality work, maybe that will help. Bet this post lasts 5 minutes.



   
ReplyQuote
(@selfproclaimed)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Do you think that the push for licensed elevator mechanics would push out the independants?

Why?

Anyone can take the test. If you are knowledgeable in the elevator field you'll pass. I too hold an installers license but check the work of others working under my license. Also, everyone must be licensed to work... passed the state test.

Having licensed elevator mechanics and annual testing done correctly can only improve the safety of the riding public and would be a giant step in the right direction.

Monthly safety meetings are also a big plus. They constantly remind us of how critical our jobs are and how dangerous they can be if the correct procedures are not followed.

I don't see your point about how the IUEC trying to pass this safety bill is an attempt to push out the independants. It is to put everyone, union or non union on the same page when it comes to safety and knowledge.The grandfathering of mechanics and helpers was probably done based upon experience and years in the business but was a start. Anyone new coming into the field won't be handed a license, they would have to be tested.

Quality work in maintaining elevators is the top priority. We must all work safe and stay focused.Don't worry about the supervisors asking when you're going to be finished. Do the job correctly and safely then move on.Too many times we are pushed to move faster and thats the problem.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share:
Scroll to Top