"Umm hello, I was just jumping in the elevator. Can you please reset the elevator?"
This is what our industry is coming to. BTW this is totally illegal in California.
Here at Otis we have come up with the technology to instantly beam parts and a qualified college graduate to your building.
First I think they should give us a phone that actually works.
Thanks for the video Green Pants. I need to find out where to order my elite engineer application when I'm ready to turn my tool bag in for a mouse and monitor.:)
"Where do I plug in my laptop?"..
Remember when there was a color TV repair shop on every block?
I have no doubt all this stuff is coming and to a large extent is already there in NEW product. Forutnately there's enough old stuff to probably see us to retirement, before uber modernazation of network controls takes over..
The problem is you don't get 200 311's or 200 400A's, or 200 Tac 5004's. (Notice I didn't mention KCM 831's...LOL) They still got all this high maintenance stuff out there they treat like new stuff maintenance time wise..
But I have a feeling as time goes by, with the newer controls, and the MBA's running the show, we'll eventually go the way of the color Television repair man.
Problem???
Just change out the one and only board, and go to the next job and change out the one and only board.
Hell...
For 20 years you've had Autotune on Drives on that will automatically set up you PID loops. Most OEM drives when matched to an OEM machine, will run flawlessly high speed once you get a inspection run...
Remember the weeks it used to take to set up a 1200 FPM DMR or 81UCL...Those days are long gone.
The future is right around the corner and while the inner complexities of controls will become even more complex, to the technician, out in the field, they will become less and less complex because of the diagnostic tools, and pre fab in the factories..
You might not like it..But it's coming...
Anybody remember using DOS or CPM from the command line before the MAC and Windows GUI interface??? Or setting up a Com board's IRQ's and DMA jumpers before plug and play USB?
When's the last time you saw a serial port or printer port on a computer?
When's the last time you signed into a Bulletin Board Service like Compuserve?
And that's what's going on computer wise. Elevators are still evolving technology wise, but you won't find one that doesn't use an encoder, AC drive, etc...And as the embedded programmers catch up, you guys will be looking at the stuff out there now 10 years from now and thinking ..."That old junk"...LOL...
(I know I'm old...They're modding stuff I put in and adjusted..)..LOL..
MP21's, who just went obsolete 10 years ago, ran on an INTEL 286. Technology, is coming... and in a lot of respects is already here..
You think you're old? They're now modding stuff that my young helpers installed after they turned out as mechanics.
Work Safe,
Jim
You never know