Elevator Forum

New home has 40/50s...
 
Notifications
Clear all

New home has 40/50s Shepard Elevator

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
6,167 Views
(@reubin78)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#12157]
Our new Victorian home (Staffordshire) has a Shepard Homelift Evalator (which I believe dates from the 1940s) and I'm looking for general help/guidance as what to do with it!!

Other than the lift looks visually appeasing (with a lovely wooden concertina door) we know very little about it.

- It provides access between the ground and first floor.
- It is currently at the first floor level.
- It is not connected to the mains electric (it was apparatenly not included when the property was rewire 2006).

I would suspect there is a lot of red-tape involved in operating an elevator and there are safety implications (we will soon be parents). I either need to make it safe or have it removed.

As much as I like the look of it, I think removal is looking favourable as it frees up useful space on two floors.

Are these sort of lifts valuable (for sales as spares or repair) or it is scrap value? Again, would be a sad day as it is quirky! If only it decending into the cellar - it would then have a (child friendly) home for lift!!

Anyone got any ideas about safely lowering the lift and who can do it? Is there such a thing as an instruction and/or repair manual?



   
Quote
(@ThyssenKrapp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You can find safety info for these units on the LEIA website
There were loads of problems with the gearbox's and some were under rated.

To be honest you would be best having it decommissioned as most of them had no overspeed govenors.

Get it sat on the deck and the other entrance boarded up and you have a lovely wood panel cupboard.

There is no resale value at all and you would have to pay someone to take it out, and i would certainly not let any kids near it.

If you need any further advice you could contact LEIA directly



   
ReplyQuote
(@ThyssenKrapp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Forgot to mention that most of these units did not have a c/w so it will be safe enough sat in the shallow pit



   
ReplyQuote
(@reubin78)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
As previously suggested, we aim to decommission. It's lovwely to look at but as you suggest it is not safe (especially around children).

I'll take a look at the website you suggested.

Meantime, I'm off to post a wanted add for a hand crank tool!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@reubin78)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
😆 😆 😆

I've found the crank handle!!! 500 turns later and the elevator has hit ground level.

Operation 'get rid' begins today.

Question for anyone clued up about elevators: Does it have any value (except scrap)?



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Only if you can find someone willing to pay...

Personally if you were hear "across the pond" I would come take it out for you and donate it to the elevator museum.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You should look for a local elevator Union and ask them. Some of those older parts make very cool lawn ornaments. Many an elevator guy can be spotted by the fly ball governor sitting in his rose garden, lol.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rolly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Lol saw a flyball gov with a mailbox mounted on it.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top