Elevator Forum

What elevator do I ...
 
Notifications
Clear all

What elevator do I have?

31 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
30.3 K Views
(@Swanniejack)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Please just isolate the elevator and wait for an expert, as they say, a little knowledge is dangerous!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Are you sure this is a traction elevator? It sounds to me like it’s a roped hydro that is leaking down and re-leveling.



   
ReplyQuote
(@mjz3348)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
It has counterweights and steel cables.



   
ReplyQuote
(@mjz3348)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted by elmcannic
mjz,

You seem a pretty observant person, and those observations most likely declare what the issue is. I don’t believe, although I could be wrong, and I know you’re curious...anyone here is going to tell you directly what they believe the issue most likely is, let alone the “how’s” to fix the “why’s.
You’ll most likely learn a bit more when the tech come out again.

Oh- very daring of you to be in the cabin during the “learn run” process! If you have a moment, read the discussion titled, “Discuss Close Call” and you’ll quickly understand just how dangerous our trade can be. Riding in the cab during a “learn run”? I would not recommend it.

It's a residential elevator - two floors. Even if it fell from the second floor to the first - I have jumped that height. It's not a big deal. I just want it fixed.



   
ReplyQuote
 Rev1
(@Rev1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I know you're a do it yourselfer, but that shouldn't pertain to elevator systems. It's not just the fall hazard, it's the unknowns and unexpected when you're not familiar with the possible dangers. Complacency or over confidence has injured or even killed some of the elite. If it's truly a 2 stop traction that's drifting????? I would leave it to someone that knows what they are doing!



   
ReplyQuote
(@mjz3348)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted by Rev1
I know you're a do it yourselfer, but that shouldn't pertain to elevator systems. It's not just the fall hazard, it's the unknowns and unexpected when you're not familiar with the possible dangers. Complacency or over confidence has injured or even killed some of the elite. If it's truly a 2 stop traction that's drifting????? I would leave it to someone that knows what they are doing!

I don't know if its "drifting" per se. Just that after it stops at the second floor and I get out as per normal - some time later when I return to it, the elevator has moved up about six inches and triggered the upper limit.

The issue for me is Garaventa is so far washing their hands of it (acquired Conquest, but no longer care about their prior installed systems). Several elevator companies I called (Houston) don't work on this elevator or can otherwise help. So I am in a bind.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Where is the motor located? Can you post a picture of the motor and the brake?



   
ReplyQuote
(@mjz3348)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted by Johnny
Where is the motor located? Can you post a picture of the motor and the brake?

The motor assembly is right next to the cab driving the steel cables. I can see it easily when I take the wood panel off exposing the track, cable, motor and LED control panel. I'll take a picture and post.

Again - I'm not going to "do anything" - but if someone on this forum can spot something obvious, I might be able to get a tech out who can fix it. I can't help but feel it's something simple since the elevator basically works (when not bumping up against the upper limit).



   
ReplyQuote
(@workingclass)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Why not just get a “tech” out who can fix it right now, and not bother with this nonsense?



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The OP reports he’s had a tech out once, but is now experiencing difficulty in getting a follow up response. It appears he’s contacted other area companies, but they don’t want to have anything to do with his residential unit. So, it’s not for lack of trying to overcome “this nonsense”.



   
ReplyQuote
(@mjz3348)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted by elmcannic
The OP reports he’s had a tech out once, but is now experiencing difficulty in getting a follow up response. It appears he’s contacted other area companies, but they don’t want to have anything to do with his residential unit. So, it’s not for lack of trying to overcome “this nonsense”.

Absolutely true. The company who designed the space and installed the elevator no longer can support. The elevator manufacturer referred me to another company who told me they don't work on these elevators. It seems I have a "lemon" that cost me over $40,000. I am getting angry that this is a one time sale and then you are on your own.



   
ReplyQuote
(@workingclass)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Where are you located



   
ReplyQuote
(@tayto)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Conquest was acquired by Garaventa in 2008, this is how they got into the residential elevator market. I'm sure they supported the product until old stock was used up. This is pretty standard when elevator businesses get bought. Having worked for Garaventa at the start of my career I always found it funny when home owners feel like they got the short end of the stick. Would you spend 40k on a car and never change the oil or brakes or tires? Probably not. Yet when it comes to their elevator it should just work all the time with no maintenance. Anyway, I'm sure you will be able to find someone in your area that has experience with these units. As far as boards go I'm sure they can be repaired at places like World Electronics, etc. Garaventa for whatever ever reason didn't keep the traction elevators, I seem to remember Thyssen ended up "stealing" it somehow and then shutdown their residential line some years ago. I could be remembering wrong though.



   
ReplyQuote
(@mjz3348)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I think we have a fix. One of the original techs who installed the elevator (now works for a commercial firm) came out and quickly had the elevator running again by bypassing the upper limit switch and resetting the floors ("learn mode"). He then waited in the elevator for 15 minutes to track the door lock click open/close - which it never did. He left the elevator and we chatted outside the door and within a few minutes the door clicked open which he heard.

We decided the cab is not balanced properly and has too much counter weight (so the cab is constantly pushing upward triggering the brake loss). So I loaded the cab with 50 pounds and the elevator has not clicked open or get stuck above the second floor since. He suggests putting 100 pounds on top of the cab which will balance the cab/ counter weights closer to what it should have been at installation. In addition, the APC backup battery was never installed. We saw a box with a brand new battery UPS system sitting on top of the elevator !! It is intended to keep the control energized during a power outage and to return the cab to the first floor.

Anyway it's working now and seems to be reliable....with 50 pounds of weights inside for the time being.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Stall Protection)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I think you may have a wonky brake on this one as it should hold the car at the floor even with the slight imbalance. As a mechanic I would want to know for sure if the machine is drifting through the brake or if the ropes are slipping. I would personally remove an elevator from service if I observed it doing that.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Scroll to Top