Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
31/01/2024 3:17 am
Let’s talk about Elevator valves (Maxton, EECO & Blain) and the thread sealers you use for the pipes in/out of it. When its not a VIC we use a variety of compounds depending on jobs but lately I feel like they are all leaking no matter what we use. Some of my plumber friends told me to use Teflon tape and blue monster ptfe sealer. I was always told to use one or the other but never both together. Trying to see what others use to seal valve pipes to prevent leaks. I know one company uses some epoxy that destroys the valve threads because you cannot separate the pipe and valve even with a lot of heat.
What do you use? What do you recommend being used?
31/01/2024 4:36 am
Expando
31/01/2024 6:33 am
Expando. When you absolutely don't want it to leak. Expando.
Clean your pipe threads dry, brake clean is best here, put powder in a cup, use a water bottle cap to add a few drops of water at a time. Do not make it too thin. Mix until its around as thick as a smoothie or soft serve ice cream. Apply (I apply to both female and male sides).
Now, you MUST, and I mean must, wait 24 hours before pressurizing the system. Or it won't have time to setup and harden. If you use it correctly it will not leak. I've ran pipes on closed in walls with it and zero issues.
31/01/2024 6:34 am
Epoxy is the "I'm retiring in 2 years I don't care" option. Never used it but I've heard what you said, no leaks but you won't get it back apart.
31/01/2024 9:46 am
Expando is the one and done till a mod option. If you clean it with contact cleaner and a wire brush,let it sit and dry for a min , then put the expando on, it may never come apart but it also won't leak... I also will do a thin coat of blue monster pipe dope, then 3 wraps of blue monster tape, then more dope over the tape. We have jobs 10+ years old with that method and no leaks. 10+ years ago it might not have been blue monster but that's what we've used for as far back as I can remember
31/01/2024 10:22 am
EXPANDO! Follow EElevators instructions!
Topic starter
01/02/2024 3:38 am
Will expando come apart if you need to replace the valve? Or not going to happen?
01/02/2024 6:34 am
It is supposed to come apart yes
01/02/2024 6:35 am
EXPANDO will come apart but not easy, have your helper hit the coupling while you turn with wrench.
08/01/2025 9:03 am
I thought the same about using tape and sealer, either use one or the other, but it works. Experienced constructors told me about using both and having done it myself in mods it works using teflon tape and the blue monster sealer.
Topic starter
15/07/2025 10:38 pm
update been using tape AND sealer (tape first sealer after) and have had 0 leaks since. So much sucess that now everyone around me is starting to do it. One of the older guys still using EXPANDO without issues as well
20/07/2025 1:49 am
the issue with tape is if it comes off and goes into the valve. have seen this lots. also pretty sure maxton says to NOT use teflon tape. have you tried talking to them and see what they recommend? i have good success with gasoila, but like other mentioned you need to let it cure for 24 hours. the other thing not mentioned here is shelf life. i always mix with a drill and after a year or so best to throw it in the garbage and buy another. the back of the van is not ideal for storage of dope unless you're using it every day.