Elevator Forum

travelling cable ou...
 
Notifications
Clear all

travelling cable outer jacket repair

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
11.6 K Views
(@pieman)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#14682]
Guys ,
i have a damaged outer jacket on a travelling flex on an inclinator homelift , the inspector wants me to replace it but as none of the conductors etc are compromised , just damage to the outer sheathe , i was wondering if anyone has ever used any sort of repair kit . it is the only travelling cable and i would guess it about 40 way so fairly thick .I think 3M make something ? anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.



   
Quote
(@kenelev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If the inspector tell u to replace it. Do it. U are asking for trouble for not having the violation removed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@pieman)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I hear you kenelev but it does not work like that where I work (carribean) ..its a long drawn out process to get stuff sent here, the bigger the more complicated. We have a good relationship with the inspector and I have already asked the question if we can find a suitable repair method rather than change it would he accept that and he has said he would... so right now I'm just floating the idea of if its possible to repair the jacket, has anyone done it and what were the results?



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
what was the numbers that the Inspector cited in the A17.1 Code.



   
ReplyQuote
(@pieman)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
John jay , that too works a little differently here ..the inspector works for government and after doing the annual inspection he either approves or dissaproves certification , he sends the customer an email with reasons for disapproval in the email he does note quote code reference . If I wish to challenge it under the code I can and then he would have to come back with the code number . As I said I have a good relationship with him and would rather not argue , if I need change it I will .. I just
Wondered if anyone had tried using heat shrink sleeves or similar to repair rather than replace and how they found it worked ...



   
ReplyQuote
 Boa
(@Boa)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
pieman, 1st let me say that anything you do to the cable ruins its rating and that is a concern. That being said, if the outer casing has minor damage (ie, part of it has worn partialy thru) there is a liquid wire insulation, if applied try to make it at least as thick as what your repairing, this stuff stays flexable and seals against moisture. I've used a good electrical tape before. main thing is travel cable has to flex. Only you can gauge how bad it is hurt, best to replace to keep to specs



   
ReplyQuote
(@Magic smoke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Draka makes a Jacket that Velcros around the cable. It's mainly to protect against divider beams but maybe an option for you.



   
ReplyQuote
(@drillpress)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
A 17.1 2004 5.1.7.1



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top