I do mostly low-rise installs 2-4 floors. residential and commercial 8-12-15lb rails
methods I use: ( nothing fancy at all)
- laser to the rail with a measuring tape.
- c clamp top of the rail with a string and plumb bob, measuring tape.
- 7 ft level, cut conduit for DBG.
Target wires hung from the overhead on piano wire with fish plate weights to steady them in the pit. A number of ways to secure the wires, but once set and secured, they’ll not move. Brackets were set (and anchored) to centerline off of these wires. Rail gage with 1” dot from the rail face was used.
Yeah two stops were easier with the plumb, but a straight piece of 3/4” conduit beveled on one end was used for the BG stick and rail facing one to the other no matter what the number of floors. I’m sure there are more “modern” ways today to achieve a plumb and faced rail job which (should) equals a smooth ride. Never used a level of any sort for rail install.
Although I never used one when installing, I now use a bosch laser tape measure somewhat frequently for various things like estimating lengths of cable for a job or filling out survey forms. Those things are incredibly accurate (to the 32nd of an inch) and I wouldn't hesitate to use one if I was installing again. Man how nice it would have been to simply hold it on the rail bracket and get an instant measurement that's accurate when setting up my top rail brackets instead of twisting and stretching trying to hold a tape measure in place, no bowing in it and read the darn thing accurately while on the extension ladder jammed at an angle into the shaft corner. This is what it must feel like to be a retired mechanic that installed elevators with square bolt heads and all hand tools watching the new generation throw stuff in twice as fast with battery powered impact wrenches and be thinking how nice it would've been to have had that modern technology when they were doing it.