Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

poor babies

21 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
34.5 K Views
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
no one can know everything. we all get stumped regularly. the humble ones learn, the hot heads burn out.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: GreenPants
no one can know everything. we all get stumped regularly. the humble ones learn, the hot heads burn out.

I hear ya Green Pants...
Hell...I just wish I could remember what I used to know.. 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i tell junior mechanics and apprentices that you dont have to know everything, you also will sometimes make stupid mistakes when fault finding but its up to you to learn from it. get the assistance when needed but learn from it. i also say sometimes things cant be explained ie lifts reset or faults clear for no reason and all you should do is just move on, plus dont take troubles home. you have to have a healthy care factor whilst doing the best you can for your company and clients but if you burn out it helps noone.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Wow, I went on vacation for three weeks, and missed out on most of the fun. IFR reminded me of a mechanic we once hired, he immediately came on the two way radio, and commented that all his equipment would run like a fine swiss watch, thats how good he was. well from that day on whenever he would be dispatched to a call, the next hour would be all the guys making tick tock sounds into the radio. He quit not long after. After 27 years in the business, one thing i do know for sure, If someone says he knows it all and done it all, thats the last guy you should call for help. I have helped quite a few guys with this personality trait, I always get a kick out of them.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yep...

And then there's the opposite. Quiet, humble, determined cat.
Like my old buddy Steve Phillips..(RIP)

Took a transfer to Fort Worth, for his wifes health. I put in a good word for him with the local super. The only thing he had for him was a call ridden, horribly maintained composite. Steve quietly told him..."I'll take the job" and moved...

Within 6 months, a lot of the field was griping, that they weren't making any overtime on that old job. In 6 months he had cut the calls to nothing..No brag, just fact...

And then there was the guy..(Very good friend of mine), who had just immigrated from India, with no job, but had an EE and 20 years experience in India. This guy, checked in with the union, walked onto one of the high rises in Manhattan, under construction. and told the super..."Give me 2 weeks and I can adjust your elevators. If you don't like my work, don't pay me, if you do HIRE ME..." He is now the chief engineer for one of the big companies in the states..

And the young guy, that a lot of yall know, that when I walked into a machine room in LA, about 10 years ago, I was met with such enthusiasm, the guy reminded me of myself 20 years ago. Hell...He wanted to learn so bad, he spent his own money on an EPROM programmer, so he could learn how to program chips, and assembly language, and other esoteric subjects. And when I talk to him to this day I'm met with the same enthusiasm...."Hi Scott!!".. 😁



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yep Yep Yep........ He is a good guy, just not a very good racquetball player, the back of my head still has a bump on it from a few years ago. :} guess he got tired of me beating him :}:}



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top