Recently one of our Mowery's have quit. The Mowrey controller boards all have the IC part numbers completely ground off.. I sent in a controller board to a reliable repair shop and they told me that the Car Eeprom has been totally wiped clean most likely that the Mowrey software wipes it clean after a number of times that the car has been used. We no longer use Mowrey as a maintenance contractor due to questionable business practices. so we can't replace the eeprom since it is proprietary. Eventually we would like to get rid of all of the Mowery equipment.
My current maintenance contractor suggest replacing the control system with Smartrise, but a read on this forum, that they seem to be stripping their tech people and provide poor tech support. The only other choice seems to be MCE.
Anyone have suggestions as to which we should go with. (Smartsrid, MCE or even alpha). We want the least amount of downtime since are buildings are full of old retired people
If you want the best reliability, longevity, and completely non proprietary support, I would recommend either the MCE motion 2000 controller or a Virginia controls MH-3000 controller.
I've heard good things about alpha but to me they just got started and its never a guarantee when companies are starting out. VA controls and MCE are the top of the market for high reliability hydro applications and have been around for decades.
Firstly, all their engineering and support has been moved to a company called Baytech (or something similar), which is based in Lebanon.
The issue is that Baytech has been a computer software company in Lebanon and may not have the same level of expertise in elevators, which has caused many problems.
Secondly, the quality of Smartrise's hardware and software is terrible, especially their new C4 controller. Imagine what happens when you combine low-quality hardware and software with poor tech support in Lebanon!
Lastly, many people including myself believe Smartrise controller is not fully compliant with safety standards and codes. This is a major concern when it comes to elevator safety and should not be overlooked. It's best to look for other elevator solutions that prioritize safety and reliability. I beleive both Pixel and MCE are good options.
Another good controller to consider is eHydro from GAL. To me the GAsseem to be similar to CEC Swift. You could also consider a Vertical Express ICON-32. It's similar to TAC-32.
Maybe someone else here could confirm but Im not sure if the HMC1000 has DLM programming.
I agree completely, if it's a simplex and you don't need dispatching, as good as the new microprocessor based controls are you can't beat the reliability of a PLC based car. There's a reason the harshest environments use PLC based cars. I've worked on them in everything from Aluminum foundries to outdoor rack and pinion cars being rained and snowed on in negative dergee temperatures. Places I just can't see any microprocessor based serial link controller holding up well for a long time.
I also like the new MCE motion 2000 more than the older hmc1000. It's a similar upgrade that the tac 32 was from the tac 20. They went to triacs to replace high failure relays and everything has alot more redundancy now. Case in point is if a up slowdown limit sticks and caused a MLT on a 1000 you get there and it's not stuck and have to reconstruct what happened to figure it out, the motion 2000 that limits input is monitored and throws a fault for that specifically. They did a good job identifying the weak points on the hmc1000 and addressing them
I once heard from a high up guy at a large independent company who only installed Vertical express, that it was normal for a couple boards to go bad in the first year on all of them and after that the "bugs were worked out". Blew my mind he's sitting there defeding the inexcusable lack of reliability. My thought process was I would've put up with that for 6 months and never installed another. I'm used to installing non proprietary equipment that darn near simply doesn't have breakdowns due to the controller.