Elevator Forum

Montgomery SPM Valv...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Montgomery SPM Valve Changeout

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
7,580 Views
(@solidstate)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#932]
Has anyone succesfully changed out an older Montgomery unit "p" valve assembly with a Maxton unit? ( I think that it is called a "P Style" Valve) This is a 50 fpm 4000lb freight.The valve on the unit was worn out and a replacement could not be sourced.When the up call is registered only UV in the controller is initiated. When the car gets near the floor UV drops out and no valve is initiated, once the car gets in the door zone USV is initiated and the doors preopen. With the Maxton valve if only one valve is picked the controler goes into low oil time out. Any advice short of a controller change out would be welcomed.



   
Quote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've done a few down leveling jobs were you tie U and UL together on a starter/MUS contact then just open them above floor level and level it down. Would that work on this controller? I'm not familiar with it, how does it get from near the floor without a picked valve to the door zone?

Last edited by GreenPants; 12/18/10 05:16 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@J Sand)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
this usually becomes an issue on a dover valve too which only energizes a specific valve solenoid ("u" or "ul")unlike a maxton that drops "U" to get into leveling. when sales sells a valve conversion, we've had to go back and install a start/leveling circuit. scott davidson probably has a lot more on this



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I had one like this a few years ago, while troubleshooting another problem I noticed the car would run up without any valve coils energized, I did not have a print so I fixed the original problem and left it down for a valve change out thinking ther was a problem with this old strange valve I had never seen. Any way the crew went out and installed a maxton and had the same problem you have. This old Montgomery hydro frt also ran at 50 fpm. It turns out that the old valve was working correctly, it does run up without any valve coils energized, it then energizes a valve coil to slow down then go past floor and level back down. We just wired it like Greenpants said both coils wired across the starter coil, set it for 50 fpm and let it overshoot and relevel just like the old one. This was a strange valve and I have never seen another, I wish I had a print so I could see the valve logic as it was strange. I had made a mistake by calling the valve bad, but we made some money and had a valve you could work with. Maybe some old Montgomery guys would have some info on this type of valve and controller



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If your changing a Dover I series valve just install a jumper from MS to USS1 which would effectively jump out the FST N/C 1-9 contact



   
ReplyQuote
(@solidstate)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for the ideas! I have this print if anybody is still interested in seeing how this system works.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top