I mentioned this briefly to the building manager and he said "it's part of living in a communal space" which wasn't very satisfying.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the noise of the youtube link below? It occurs at the 6 second mark. I recorded it with a smartphone so it's not terribly loud, apologies for that. I hear this basically every minute in the evening rush hour, and it is unfortunately driving me crazy. The building is a 34 story high-rise in Manhattan's east side. Happy to provide more information. I just want to see whether the manager is right and it's a completely normal noise to which I have to either get accustomed or else just bear with it for a year and then move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcxLE0PUi4&feature=youtu.be
Not too great on the audio, but my guess would be the sounds of two elevator machine brakes lifting (snap, thunk, clank, smack) as the elevator cars start and stop. Mornings and evening times being the busiest. Three floors down from the equipment room isn't terribly far, and quite possibly mechanical adjustments to the break assembly itself may quiet it down some...maybe.
I would suspect if you keep in your managers ear about it, maybe progress will be made...one way or another. Lucky you gets to hear every single tenant leave or arrive. Maybe be the squeaky wheel that gets to relocate down to the 15th floor on a priority basis.
I have been asked the same question from some of my customers when they compare the sounds coming from a new MRL to an older installation with a overhead machine room.
The reason they typically install MRLs now days instead of having the equipment in a separate room basically just boils down to less cost when they don't have to construct a separate room some where else in the building. And trust me most of us in the industry don't care for MRLs either when it comes to the maintenance and repair aspect of it.
I should clarify just because you have a machine room or equipment room on a newer installation it could very well just house the elevator controls while the machine and brake reside in the top of the hoistway.
elmcannic: I think next step is to poll some folks to see if they hear any noises. Problem is I need to bump into my neighbors and I'm rarely home to be able to do that. Maybe I'll slip a note under their doors, hopefully that isn't creepy. It's a condo unit so they won't be able to relocate me unfortunately.
ABE: Building was constructed in 1979. This is the one in case it matters:
http://streeteasy.com/building/212-east-47-street-new_york
At this point, I'm putting the probability of my successfully convincing them to do something and that actually fixing the problem at 20%. And the odds of my growing used to the sound at 30%. So 50% chance this won't matter in a month!
Thanks again all.
Probably just brakes needing proper adjustment