Local 12 Kansas city Missouri.
Commentary: Websites
From a two stop hydro to the tallest high-rise, I carry a card that says I can fix it, but sometimes I could use a little help. Who do you talk to when the equipment is older than dirt, and the last guy to shoot trouble on it retired two years back? Or maybe the latest and greatest equipment that company X put out the door is down and their tech boys are not about to help you make their equipment run. It would be great to call on a brother and get some advice or a new direction on how to fix it. I had thought that this would have been a natural for our union but alas, the liability for NEIEP to do this is to great. There are to many lawyers in in the world and local 12 has learned just how much lawyers cost.
I have found several elevator Internet sites where they welcome elevator personnel , also building maintenance men, building managers, contractors, and owners. It is a great idea and one we really need in our industry but it should be restricted to IUEC members where where ony members could access it. Is anyone else worried about who is reading these forums? Why hire a union consructor if this type of experience and knowledge is readily available to anyone who comes looking, including non union and bilding maintenance men? I have read some of these forums. Those who have posted are well informed and most likely union members providing the critical information. They are well intentioned but definitely not helping the industry. I would recommend that none of our members provide information to any of these types of sites.
However, if any of these websites change their format to provide a secure union meber only forum online, then I would be the first to recommend it. Providing a forum or site where ONLY union elevator constrictors could enter to discuss with other union members specific questions, problems and solutions,and share their knowledge would be a natural progression of our industry into the future. Verifying union membership though may be a problem. Who would have a list of active members from month to month? So I guess what I am saying is if it is not a union site, then don't supply any information. It is a shame our union could not be the one to provide and control it for us but I understand.... To many lawyers.
Opposing views are good. Email me. Jim linn. [email protected]
That was the article in this months elevator constructor. As I am one of the members with the most posts to this forum, I was wondering your thoughts on the subject. I personally do not think we are harming the elevator industry. It is hard enough for a trained IUEC elevator mechanic to fix most of the equipment out there. Does Jim really think that there is a copious amount of building managers, maintenance men etc. , surfing the web trying to find a way to fix there broken elevator? To tell the truth, there are only a few elevator guys that go the extra distance to better themselves by searching for such forums as this one. I know this because look at the membership numbers for this forum, they are still low and it jas been open for nearly 2 years. I realize that ther could be a liability issue here, but how long should we walk on eggshells to appease the overwhelming number of frivolous lawsuits that our industry has to indure. What do you think?
I want a website like this. It is needed and it is time. If not you then someone else will.
I am a member of this site, but the original intent of my article was to get NEIEP to create a website so members could access it and know that only other union constructors would be reading. Yes, I am concerned about non-union and others accessing information it has taken years of training to accumulate. The IUEC has spent years building an education program that gives each of us a marketable skill and I do not want to educate the non-union people to compete against me. Why would they ever consider joining the IUEC if they can find a fix whenever they are stumped? For over a hundred years IUEC constructors have been paying dues (money, blood, sweat, and tears) to gain the information this site would freely dispense to all. The NEIEP website already has security measures in place and I thought it would be a natural but they felt otherwise.
The other issue is internet is still in its infancy and the more it is used the more people will seek out information, so again yes in time there will be some owners, bldg maintenance, whoever that will log in and attempt something that without training will get them or someone else hurt. As others read this journal article, I would guess there will be many more union elevator constructors checking out this site. I know when someone finds a good thing the guys I work with can�t wait to tell the next guy where to check it out.
You have the opportunity, dare I say, the responsibility to do it right. Safeguards could be put into place to protect trade secrets. Possibly a tiered system, where the top tier would be Union craftsmen and a second tier for all others, that could answer the basic questions, direct them to a qualified company or in the case of non-union they could be directed to their closest local. Checking out the initial membership would be burdensome but I feel it would be worth it to protect our trade. I would like to contribute to that kind of system.
By the way thanks for reading my original article, it�s nice to know someone is.
Thanks,
Jim
In terms of the 'controlling' of who receives the information seems to carry that typical pro-union mindset. I have no problem offering my experience to either side of the industry. The beauty behind our country is free enterprise. I'm not promoting undercutting the employee but to continue evolving the industry and leading it into the future.
What do you all think
we all want to protect our work, just like any other trade. i feel the same as the administrator, you can tell by the question how much expertise the poster has. and the answers given are appropriate. none of us can know it all, and the only way to learn in most situations is to ask.
being a good union member is someone who puts other brothers above the companies or his own ego. that is how we grow our ranks.
These type individuals - usually building maintenance personel - have sought out techincal elevator information in the field for years and the internet is simply another avenue for them. Just last month in my service area a millwright (in this case millwrong) who thought he knew what he was doing got himself killed under a falling material lift.
Having a "elevator mechanic only" section in this or similiar industry website, protected by password, is a good idea and I am sure feasible if someone was willing to put in the effort.
Look at the thread "Hydraulic Elevator Floor Misalign" directly below this one for a perfect example of an indvidual with obvious little elevator repair experience looking for a fix. Someone could easily steer him wrong intentionally or unintentionally, and tell him to make a valve adjustment that could send his elevator crashing into the pit with himself or the riding public in it.
In that thread, experienced guys disseminated technical information to him and/or took his questions as a platform to go off topic or for insider stories - thats all well and good but the OP - "Sirnobody" stopped responding to the thread long ago -mid flight - hope he's not hurt!!
the original host/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1184#Post1184
I am not anti non-union, some of my Locals best mechanics and strongest Union men have come from non-union shops. I want to give them every incentive to join with us, into a Union, be polite and friendly sure but I am not going to provide the tools to compete with me or my brothers. The automotive and computer forums makes my point, when I have a problem with one of my vehicles or computers, I Google it to see if I can fix it for less. Is this what is going to happen with elevator repair?
I don�t believe non union mechanics are the enemy but they can eliminate your job given half a chance and having a higher tier for the IUEC mechanics would be another incentive to make the jump to Union and be able to access that higher tier. I worked for the majors for over 20 years mostly in service. The past 5 years I�ve been working for two of my friends, IUEC members that started their own Union elevator company and kept it Union. If it wasn�t for other mechanics having taught me I wouldn�t have any elevator knowledge at all. I like giving back to other mechanics whenever possible and yes I like to share ideas and information with non-union techs, building managers, consultants, inspectors and the general public but not technical and definitely not �how to� information. This website should not become the �doityourself� website.
Does anyone out there have any expertise on ways to setup a multi-tiered website? It would be helpful to have more options available.
Being the typical American, I didn't think outside the box or consider the internet is global. I too am from an area, Kansas-right to work, where a non-union person gets all the benefits negotiated by the Union and doesn�t have to belong or help pay for it. We even have to furnish legal at the Unions expense if they need it. It�s all designed to weaken Unions like you say they have in Australia. Companies have gone global but Unions haven�t yet and until they do workers around the world will be pitted against each other. Maybe there is a way those professionals outside the US could gain entry to the upper tier, any ideas?
"In fact I have gone one step further and have done exactly what Jim has asked for. I have created a seperate forum where access will be given to Union members only. No other members of my forums other than moderators can actually see this forum but, by the same token no future member of the union only forum will see any of my other forums. I would call that fair? I have invited Jim to join his union only forum but sadly I have to say so far only Silence."
Click below for the full monty
http://www.elevatorworld.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37
..
Not to mention it's relatively easy to tell who knows what their talking about vs. Some Joe who feels like he can fix it.
It's a grey area but if it comes down to me I would help union and non-union members alike. It still takes skill and know-how to do a job. Being on a forum and asking questions isn't going to fix everything. But it helps point someone who knows where to look in the right direction.