I recently faced a strange problem with a DMC-1. I responded to a call and when I got there the motor overload was tripped. We had very cold temperatures and the machine room got cold enough to go into viscosity control. Problem is, the valve is leaking in the up direction, so whenever the pump started to bypass and warm up the oil it would leak to the jack and push the car up out of leveling zone, kill the pump, level down and start again every 15 seconds or so. It did it for long enough to trip the overload. Has anyone experienced a valve leaking like that before? It holds perfectly in the down direction.
Seb
This can contaminate the up leveling speeds so you may need to re adjust that as well.
@Silly: I assume by "remove valves" you mean to pull the coils off? It is an I-2 valve. But as far as I understand if it was a bypass issue it would go back to the tank (as it should in viscosity control) and not to the jack. What do you think?
Seb
It's sounds like oil is bleeding through your up pilot piston for the pressure to build in the regulator piston allowing oil to flow to the jack.
Did you check the up pilot piston and spring? We're any adjustment changes made to the up side? More specificly was the low pressure or up stop adjustments changed?
I didn't have the up pilot out yet. No adjustments were made lately. It could have been like that for a long time though, it probably hasn't gone into viscosity control for years so no one would notice. Is there a rebuild kit for the up pilot?
S�bastien
LindenValve repair (800)769-5438
EMI valve (847)593-4900
Vertical Express (Dover, TKE) (866)558-3789
I have seen this before, in Alaska, on a TAC 20 that was creeping while on viscosity. Give it a try and let me know if you need some help. It's a very straight forward adjustment, and the up leveling is also cake to dial back in.
S
I went to this job yesterday and sis exactly as Silly said. All it needed was the low pressure setting readjusted. Now with the coils off the car won<t move at all.
Thanks a lot for your help, Seb