Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Dirty Little Tricks

34 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
73.6 K Views
(@SEC Reject)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Broke_Sheave
Fuji
Change software to disable diagnostics upon leaving the job.

Kone.
Changing a bit in LCE to turn off display.

Schindler and TK..
Old stuff Miconic V and T3, T4 type stuff.
Changing passwords on the diagnostics as they walk out.

I can remember a time when you found out you were going to lose a job you FIXED all nagging issues, and lost the job looking brand new. Your reputation was at stake.

Now days the new thinking is to leave as many problems as you can, and sabotage the equipment on the way out the door.

What Happened????

Funny you mentioned that last part. When my company lost a job that my account was linked to, my apprentice and I went through the equipment, cleaned the hoist way and pit, and painted the machine room floor.

It ran flawlessly for 8 weeks. Then, upon the first breakdown, accusations flew that there was sabotage involved. I just shook my head. Sometimes you can't win.



   
ReplyQuote
(@CanaDo)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
During our 9 month strike in 1972, there were a couple of traveling cables tied to the pit steel on the jobs the "others" were repairing our elevators. and also the old pin in the travelers.

strikes are different from losing and acquiring contract.



   
ReplyQuote
 kev
(@kev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
took over a tk unit, the week before they left unit they replaced all the vics in the pit and the packing. after a week of having the contract there was a noise in the pit and the customer was all over us I was in the pit for hour trying to figure it out finally i just set the car on jacks and poped of the vics and in a 5 foot section of pipe there was a 3 foot of 3/4 conduit pipe.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: SEC Reject
Originally Posted By: Broke_Sheave
Fuji
Change software to disable diagnostics upon leaving the job.

Kone.
Changing a bit in LCE to turn off display.

Schindler and TK..
Old stuff Miconic V and T3, T4 type stuff.
Changing passwords on the diagnostics as they walk out.

I can remember a time when you found out you were going to lose a job you FIXED all nagging issues, and lost the job looking brand new. Your reputation was at stake.

Now days the new thinking is to leave as many problems as you can, and sabotage the equipment on the way out the door.

What Happened????

Funny you mentioned that last part. When my company lost a job that my account was linked to, my apprentice and I went through the equipment, cleaned the hoist way and pit, and painted the machine room floor.

It ran flawlessly for 8 weeks. Then, upon the first breakdown, accusations flew that there was sabotage involved. I just shook my head. Sometimes you can't win.

I hear ya..
It's like the unit that has been down for a while. You go over and fix it. It goes down a year later, and then you get the call.

"Your Elevator is broke again.".



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i had a great one...well no so great. just took over 6 old traction
elevators, was getting the job cleaned up and the guy with me was going over the machines. He emptied the machine drips, someone put some nuts and bolts in the drip pan and he dumped them into the gearbox!! after that we dumped into a bucket to find that 4 of the 6 had nuts and bolts in the pans. no damage was done and we drained and cleaned the gearbox.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jcjphoenix)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I know that controllers with a modem hooked up to the cpu are there to send emails to the company or technician about faults being logged or information about performance ( like the Vista monitoring unit on tk controllers). Is it true that when a company like tk losses the service contract, someone from that company can log onto the cpu from a remote location and cause the cpu to shutdown and/or change parameters that will cause other problems?



   
ReplyQuote
(@pdq1600)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
clear tape on the old Otis interlocks.



   
ReplyQuote
(@christycollett)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Never against our Brothers but the other Trades were fair game.

Working a job a hundred or so years ago when the plaster boss informed us he wasn't going to clean up our car & cwt frames sitting in the pit. "Not in my contact' You guys should have covered it up before I went to work. Guy was a real dick. The next day my mechanic showed up with a small paper bag. Asked him what was in there and he said "Just watch" about that time the gut wagon had shown up so all the trades headed for their "Minimum Daily Requirement" of a substance known as "Textured Vegetable Protein" combined with some type of meat that the FBI crime lab in Washington DC has been trying to identify for the last 20 years. It gets all wrapped up in flour tortilla in a factory over in the "City of Industry" and sent out the back door as a Ramona Hand Wrapped Burrito. Well anyway back back to the story. John said said "come on" we headed to ware the plaster guys were working and there sat a full wheel barrow of brown coat. John dumps the contents of the paper bag and told me to mix up up with one of the hoes that has two holes in it. Off to lunch, what was in the bag I asked John, his reply with an ear to ear grin, "Rye Grass Seed."



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Broke_Sheave
Fuji
Change software to disable diagnostics upon leaving the job.

Kone.
Changing a bit in LCE to turn off display.

Schindler and TK..
Old stuff Miconic V and T3, T4 type stuff.
Changing passwords on the diagnostics as they walk out.

I can remember a time when you found out you were going to lose a job you FIXED all nagging issues, and lost the job looking brand new. Your reputation was at stake.

Now days the new thinking is to leave as many problems as you can, and sabotage the equipment on the way out the door.

What Happened????

This sounds like slander to me, are you saying these companies do this, or that this can be done on thier equipment?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jcjphoenix)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm saying that I've heard rumors that this can be and has been done by companies. I've had a couple of instances where problems that have occurred could be easily explained by a company doing this and I would like to know if anyone else has encountered a similar situation.



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've had non-union shops change passwords, install jumpers, and change parameters on jobs they've lost. I have yet to experience this when taking over a union job. I can only assume what I have found is sabotage, there is the outside change it was due to gross incompetence. In only one particular case I know it was sabotage, but the culprit is no longer in business.

I work for a top tier union company, we loose jobs and pick up jobs, and sabotage is not worth it. Our reputation is far more important than a job here and there.

Last edited by traction; 11/10/15 12:29 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@ConfusedInCanada)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Elevatorfella
Heard a story of someone tying a piece of string on a ball valve handle in the pit, manually lowering the car onto buffer springs, then pulling the string, closing the ball valve....very dirty trick on my opinion

So.. I was pretty shocked/impressed when I read this comment and mentioned it to a buddy in the trade. That just led to us both being confused. How would you even fix this? I initially thought you could just hoist the car, but would the negative pressure in the cylinder not prevent this? If there's no way to get under the car, are you pretty much screwed for every plan except cutting a hole in the floor?

Edit: I guess I should submit something I saw, as well. I'm gonna pretend this was intentional because I want to maintain some faith in the boys that work in my local, but for anyone who has worked on one of those silly GE controllers before, you know that faults are all cleared with one jumper... And all the programming could be cleared with that same jumper after either a slip of the hand or a bit of malicious intent... After another company (won't give it away but it starts with a T and ends with a hyssen Krupp) lost a contract, I walked into one of those. Not a good time....

Last edited by ConfusedInCanada; 12/22/15 04:53 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@ConfusedInCanada)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: traction
I've had non-union shops change passwords, install jumpers, and change parameters on jobs they've lost. I have yet to experience this when taking over a union job. I can only assume what I have found is sabotage, there is the outside change it was due to gross incompetence. In only one particular case I know it was sabotage, but the culprit is no longer in business.

I work for a top tier union company, we loose jobs and pick up jobs, and sabotage is not worth it. Our reputation is far more important than a job here and there.

While it's easy to trash talk the morals of non-union workers, sometimes it's more ignorance than it is sabotage. We took on a power station where the elevators were previously looked after by anyone on site that could keep it running. Found a gate switch jumped out only because an electrician could troubleshoot well enough to find out where the power stopped... Changed a set of ECI contacts and everything was good again. He wasn't trying to kill anyone (although, he came closer than he realized) but he just didn't know enough to even step foot in the machine room.



   
ReplyQuote
(@koneisland)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Never a good idea to re-use oil at anytime and pretty dumb to re-use without at least filtering it first.



   
ReplyQuote
 RCD
(@RCD)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You open all the valve and hoist up the car since the valves are open oil will flow into the cylinder as you lift the car and will not flow out due to there being no downward pressure.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Scroll to Top