We have a MOD coming up with the same issue. We intend to raise the machine and install the HW gripper between the drive and deflector. We also have two Westinghouse gearless machine we service with that very setup.
Make good choices,
JKH
http://www.elevatornews.com/news/8-elevator-engineering-and-design
beams under the machine in the machine room and then remount the rope gripper in the machine room in the normal manner. My raising beams would basically sit right on top of the existing machine beams. I am open to other ideas. Is there any third party company that makes a sheave brake. No matter how I deal with this it will be labor intensive and expensive. To do what I propose will involve having to re-rope the car but it would only be an issue on this first elevator.
I just went through exactly what you are talking about see below for some pictures. ( I will take a few close ups of the finished product )
We looked on the market for a product that would work. We came to the conclusion that we had to suck it up and raise the machine!. We then added a 1" thick steel plate on the machine beams and 5/8 bolted (grade 5 or higher ) required and mounted the rope gripper to that. We ended up using 21" 8" I beams and had to weld gussets between the I beams as well as a few other gussets on the sheave side.
I will have to admit I was a little apprehensive about the ascending car test/125% roll away but everything was tickety boo. We spent weeks pissing around trying to find another sollution to this situation. We had 12 cars to raise and in the end we got it down to a fine art! We could raise the machine install the rope gripper done in under a day!
Good Luck!
Regards
Lepricon
*(image not available in this archive)*
*(image not available in this archive)*
*(image not available in this archive)*
I'm not familiar with the expression "tickety boo". But judging by the photo's it sounds like smooth sailing. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Good job..