Elevator Forum

Local 18 - Las Vega...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Local 18 - Las Vegas

195 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
316.9 K Views
(@Travisnbb4evr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Congrats man that’s great placing



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Man excellent rank. What do you do for work? What degree or certs do you have? I'm trying to get a rank like that next time.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Beans94)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
One year of construction experience with a general contractor doing carpentry, two years of college with a good gpa, and a forklift certification. When I did my first interview the only thing I had was a forklift cert. i think that if you are really dedicated to being in the elevator industry you’ll do what it takes to really make yourself valuable to them. I was also discouraged at times especially when I didn’t make it but along the way you just keep trying to improve yourself for the process. Join other trades such as steamfitters (welding experience) or become an electrician; two very valuable skill sets in this industry.

I think mechanics and union reps want a guy that can read a tape and work with other tools, but also a person that can follow directions and won’t talk back when yelled at or told to do something. So construction experience in my opinion shows both of those qualities since you usually work with someone that teaches you things.



   
ReplyQuote
 Dro
(@Dro)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ithink it's just how well you grade. Dont think experience has any on role. Maybe osha 10 cert, which I have. I know someone who got a 93 and they were in the 80s. Not many points separate 91.5/109 to a rank in the 60's... I'll assume he got a 94 or 94.5. That tool assessment was also part of the interview grade... an excellent group of people took this test in Vegas.... nothing we could've done about that.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Beans94)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
“

Originally Posted by Dro
Ithink it's just how well you grade. Dont think experience has any on role. Maybe osha 10 cert, which I have. I know someone who got a 93 and they were in the 80s. Not many points separate 91.5/109 to a rank in the 60's... I'll assume he got a 94 or 94.5. That tool assessment was also part of the interview grade... an excellent group of people took this test in Vegas.... nothing we could've done about that.

“Applicants will be scored based upon Education, Work Experience, Oral Interview, and Tool Assessment, and will be placed on a ranked list, with the highest scoring individual being placed at the top of the list. All applicants of the results, and applicants will be placed as apprentices based on their rank in this pool of eligible candidates. Applicants not selected for employment will remain on the ranked list for a period of two years.
Employment as an Elevator Constructor presents an extremely challenging, yet highly rewarding career to individuals with strong ambition, solid skills, and a willingness to learn. Our Apprenticeship Training Program provides highly qualified mechanics to an industry that insists on superior quality and craftsmanship.
We wish all applicants the best of luck as you apply for work in our industry. “

- local 18 website



   
ReplyQuote
 Dro
(@Dro)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have zero construction experience... maybe that's what brought me down.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Csalazar311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you don’t have construction/mechanical expierence at all you won’t make too 100 that’s what they told me.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Shoot I got an electrical "tech math" cert, 1 year of electrical experience, welding school I just started, a rigging cert,OSHA 30, forklift cert,twic cert, Rso cert. Tool assessment was easy, I guess I messed up the easiest part, the oral interview..

Last edited by Rique925; 09/15/18 01:02 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Dro
(@Dro)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you have all those certs and still got a 109, Iwill go out on a limb and say that the interview was worth the most, as you scored 3 points higher than me and all Ihave is an OSHA 10.... I have inside info saying that relateable work experience is not factored to very minimal.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Travis, general rule of thumb is one apprentice to one mechanic. Yes, on bigger jobs they will sometimes have a floating helper or two, AKA 8 two man crews may have an additional 2-3 apprentices on the job site. Just because there are 18 elevators in a building dont assume that's 18 crews. Up in my neck of the woods we would do it with around 5 crews, depending on tme and space constraints.

The good news for all you Vegas guys is the legalized marijuana. We have had so many in the top 20% fail drug tests up here. Without knowing the true work load, or quality of applicants, I would think if you score in the top 35-40% of that list, you have a decent chance at being called within the next 12 months.

For those outside that number, of course there is Crap to do. Go get some sort of education that relates. Welding, go learn hydraulic theory, be proficient with hand tools, including metric, hoisting and rigging, learn how to tie a knot. Education is the biggest, no one can ever take that from you. Go test in another area. This isn't a job, it is a career....get in, do well, and you and your family are set for life.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Travisnbb4evr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Good info thanks 👍🏼



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
As an update let me tell you all that I just got off the phone with Joe Boswell..he explained to me that they are at most going to hire 50 guys, maybe up to 75, so beans you are in luck, however for the most of us he made it pretty clear to retry again in 2 years. Travis and dro idk what you heard, but at the same time what I don't understand is why would the list be so big (345) if they were only going to hire 50-75 at most??he didn't have a response to it so still kinda confused on this matter..oh yeah I forgot, he said I'd the last list they only hired 30 new hires.

Last edited by Rique925; 09/27/18 07:23 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Dro
(@Dro)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
on the previous list in Las Vegas, I know it took 9 months to reach the teens. That does not bode well for us, but I believe something will be different this time around...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted by Dro
on the previous list in Las Vegas, I know it took 9 months to reach the teens. That does not bode well for us, but I believe something will be different this time around...

Hope so brotha



   
ReplyQuote
(@FireAlarmPuller)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I ranked in the top twenty and I called 6 days ago and was told not a single person had been called yet and that the new list was active, just no call yet. I will let the forum know when I get called.

Last edited by FireAlarmPuller; 10/01/18 07:24 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 13
Share:
Scroll to Top