Elevator Forum

Local 18 - Las Vega...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Local 18 - Las Vegas

195 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
316.8 K Views
(@GenErick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey rique that’s great to know. Hoping we can both make it in and hopefully soon! Any word on the work picture from the apprenticeship coordinator?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Yeah I guess a casino and the raiders stadium are going to be built now so a lot of construction going on. What was your rank?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Travisnbb4evr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hi guys thanks for starting this thread, I ranked 175 the competition for an apprenticeship was extremely competitive for Vegas this round apparently 6 people got 100% perfect scores and from wat I’m told hasn’t happened in the past and many highly qualified people went out for the gig. From what I’m told Otis will be hiring enough to put together 50 crews so if that’s 3 apprentices to one mechanic that’s 150 right there and that’s only one company 3 per one mechanic might be stretching it but good for a solid 100. So I’m not sure why the secretary said 100 tops, from what I have learned that’s just not true. Yes raiders stadium is a big job and the mall around it will be massive as well as 2 projects that stalled for some time are starting back up. I’m not worried being 175 I was told that it’s a respectable spot given my lack of direct qualifications so basically I was reassured I must of interviewed enough for my name to memorable by the quardinator so that’s cool but didn’t move me ahead of any one with a mechanical engineering or electrical degree. I have gathered my info from someone who teaches with the quardinator on a daily basis and 3 other mechanics I’m personal friends with so I feel this is trustable but take it with a grain of salt. The way I see it everyone will get a shot in time once these big jobs start. There is also those who can’t hang with the demand of the job or stay up with the school work so that can’t hurt either. It would be nice tho for us to notify the board what placing you are when you get called out so we could possibly judge when it could be the rest of our turns as well. As I get more info from my “intel” I will fill every one in



   
ReplyQuote
(@Travisnbb4evr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Just wondering how old you are?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
23 man, very informative info



   
ReplyQuote
(@GenErick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That’s great info that bodes well for us if correct (crossing my fingers) there appears to be a few of us here now, I’m ranked within the first one hundred. I would be willing to call every few weeks to ask about what number they are on or to get any possible info if others on this board are willing to do the same. Would anyone that has a contact name and number for someone at the apprenticeship office be willing to PM that information to the rest of us? I think it would benefit us all.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Travisnbb4evr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
For sure As I get info I will share

Last edited by Travisnbb4evr; 09/14/18 04:57 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
6264491869 ,called yesterday and they haven't hired off the list yet



   
ReplyQuote
(@Csalazar311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I’m 18. Ranked number 311 on the list. My cousins a regional manager for thyssen. He said not to worry at all with all the work coming I should have no problem. I’m hopeful. Called union hall receptionist said they weren’t allowed to give out scores for test which confused the hell outta me haha. Good luck to everyone!



   
ReplyQuote
 Dro
(@Dro)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
When you're 18, you got all the time in the world and dont mind waiting. When you're in your mid 30s, let's get it moving!! Lol. I heard this whole list will get exhausted.... could take 12-18 months.



   
ReplyQuote
(@hog451)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Travisnbb4evr
From what I’m told Otis will be hiring enough to put together 50 crews so if that’s 3 apprentices to one mechanic that’s 150 right there and that’s only one company 3 per one mechanic might be stretching it but good for a solid 100. So I’m not sure why the secretary said 100 tops, from what I have learned that’s just not true.

From the https://www.iuec.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2022-NEBA-AGREEMENT-web.pd f" target="_blank">NEBA Agreement:

"Article X
Par. 2. The total number of Helpers, Apprentices and Assistant Mechanics employed shall not exceed the number of Mechanics on any one job, except on jobs where two teams or more are working, one extra Helper, Apprentice or Assistant Mechanic may be employed for the first two teams and an extra Helper,Apprentice or Assistant Mechanic for each additional three teams.Further, the Company may use as many Helpers, Apprentices and Assistant Mechanics as best suits his convenience under the direction of a Mechanic in wrecking old plants and in handling and hoisting material, and on foundation work. When removing old and installing new cables on existing elevator installations, the Company may use two Helpers, Apprentices or Assistant Mechanics to one Mechanic."

Rule of thumb: One Mechanic One Helper.

Last edited by hog451; 09/14/18 03:23 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Csalazar311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Any recommendations on work to do while I’m waiting ? Want to get into the construction field more so next city I interview for I can be more impressive.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GenErick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Damn Hog, took the wind right out of my sails. I’m in the 80’s, really hoping for a call out.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Travisnbb4evr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
So if there are 50 teams this rule doesn’t apply?
I’m only going off what a mechanic that’s also a teacher told me not trying to spread miss information



   
ReplyQuote
(@Beans94)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I got ranked 68. Just hoping I eventually get a call, just thankful I got on the bench. The first time I tried in LA I wasn’t able to get on, tried another time in Phoenix and was ranked 62 but never got called.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 13
Share:
Scroll to Top