Yet another hopeful here.
I was just curious about my recent ranking. I went through the process at Local 132 in Madison, WI this past August.
I don't believe the interview went terribly svelte, but I feel I got across that I am a reliable and hard worker. I have 6 years of previous trade experience (not elevator), steady work history, an associates degree and a bachelor's degree.
I ranked at 48...I was hoping to be in the 30s at least. I have no idea how many made it through to the interview process and further yet how many made it through the interview.
So I suppose my question is does age play a roll at all in their decision? I'm 30 years old this year but I would wager I'm in far better shape then people 10 years younger than me. I work out ever other day.
I don't question the interviews because obviously they know what they are looking for...
Just curious if there is something else that they might be interested in over me. I don't have electrical experience per second, nothing on paper anyway.
Anybody have any insight at all? I'm guessing I might not even get a call with in the two year window since the Madison local isn't very large.
Thank you everybody, J
What I can suggest from my experience is, apply to any locals near you or locals you may be willing to relocate to, if this is possible for you (most people will tell you this career is worth it). But, before this, I strongly suggest you make yourself more attractive to your current local or any other (if you choose to pursue this career). By this, i mean...at the very least, go online and complete the "osha 10-hour" certification ($60).
I did this very course AFTER ranking not so good in Local 7 (baltimore)...even though my dad and other mechanics in the local whom I've known for more than 10+ years spoke highly of me.
So, when Local 10 (d.c.) opened up their recruitment just 4 months later I went in and said, "i wasnt extremely happy with my ranking in local 7, so here is what i did since then" and i felt that showed a lot.
To put in perspective, Local 7 has about 400 members and i placed #91...while local 10 has about 1400 members and I placed #32. My odds of being called to Local 10 should be very good...but being called for local 7, not so much.
If you are dead set on joining local 132, take the next couple of years to complete some training. Osha 10-hour and Osha 30-hour will definitely help you rank better next go round...
Hog, I am trying to pass on stuff that was recommended to me by people who have been in this trade for quite some time.
I did apply to local 15 as well. I didn't do very well, # 77. Not likely good enough to get a call.
I Will definitely try again in 2 years.