Elevator Forum

Interview ranking
 
Notifications
Clear all

Interview ranking

458 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
1.2 M Views
(@blakjak)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: westcoast
Originally Posted By: blakjak
Just finished my interview last week and got my ranking today. Out of respect for what I've gathered for this industry so far in terms of privacy for the system I'll just say that they're basic interview questions, or at least mine were for my group. There were seven questions and they were the same general questions you'll find in any Google search about common job interview questions. Don't sweat it and answer the way you think the employer would want an employee to answer. (e.g what comes first; work or family? Obviously the answer is the job comes first but seeing as you're an adult with capable planning abilities you can schedule things in advance and make sure things are covered both at work and at home.)

Interview lasted about 15 minutes. I wore a suit. Didn't see anyone else in one. Not sure if it made a difference.

Completely understandable.
I just really want to do well since this is going to be the biggest interview of my life so far and pretty much life changing lol.

I'm sure you'll do great! Knock it out and let us know the good news when you get it!



   
ReplyQuote
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: blakjak
Originally Posted By: jeff24
Originally Posted By: blakjak
Nooooo, Local 49.

If you don't mind my asking, what'd you get? I interviewed at the 49 as well.

I don't mind. I got number one. In all fairness, I was the old guy in a suit on Thursday morning at 10:00 if you were there then. I've got a lot of experience and military background so I've got a leg up on some of the younger guys. I applied through the NEIEP, drove 1000 miles twice (test and interview), paid for my own hotels, and took my own vacation time on this one too so I'm hoping it pans out by August.

Wow. That's awesome, blakjak. Good for you man. I'm guessing you won't be waiting too long.

Wish I'd ranked so high. When I called, the union rep said they'd only hire a VERY small handful from the list. Expects no more than 10 over two years.



   
ReplyQuote
(@blakjak)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thanks brother! I got the feeling that that most of the hiring is going to be from guys retiring rather than an increase in the workload so the small number makes sense.

Last edited by blakjak; 04/07/17 09:48 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Eros
(@Eros)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Anyone hear anything from local 8 ?



   
ReplyQuote
(@westcoast)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Eros
Anyone hear anything from local 8 ?

They are still conducting interviews, expect to hear back from them in May.



   
ReplyQuote
 Eros
(@Eros)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Alright thanks!



   
ReplyQuote
(@JessyV)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Does anyone know what # the LA list is on? Last I heard it was in the 90's



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Nope, next union meeting is May 1st. Hopefully I will get an update then.



   
ReplyQuote
(@IceeOne)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
A friend of mine who works for the Union said the LA list is near the 200's.

I find that hard to believe.

Is there anyone between 100-200 that hasn't been called yet?



   
ReplyQuote
 Erok
(@Erok)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm 150 and have not received a call



   
ReplyQuote
(@Jgonzales)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Anyone have an update on the Las Vegas list local 18??



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Nope, My buddy is 33. I will let you know when he gets the call. Heard that list is pretty much dead unless they start construction on the new casino or the stadium.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Mark32)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Anyone on the milwaukee list or have any inight on the area? I don't believe I am ranked high enough to get a call, but I know there are a few big projects downtown. I'm curious how many elevator jobs are created from major procects like the new Bucks stadium or the Northwestern mutual buildings.



   
ReplyQuote
(@hog451)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Mark,

Usually one elevator = 1 Mechanic and 1 helper. However, that helper can be anything from the apprenticeship or a mechanic that has agreed to be a helper @ 80% rate.

Once an elevator is done they'll move on to another job. The easiest elevator can take from 4 days to 2 weeks to complete.

The building I'm working on has seven elevators with only two crews working. We'll be there until it is finished. Then on to the next job.

This cannot be stated enough, they will hire off the list only as a last resort. If any other guy was laid off they get called before anyone on the list.

Do not compare Locals. LA has roughly 1800 members so yeah, they're at 200 on their list but most locals are roughly 200 members which would mean (everything being equal) that an average local would be on #20. Also, how many guys turn down the job or get run off? LA might be bowing through their list because they can run off anyone and replace them the next day.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Mark32)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thanks for the information. I guess I had assumed there would be more people involved in the larger projects and that would force some employers hands to call off the list.

Like I said, I am ranked pretty high (in the 70s). So I don't anticipate a call seeing as there are only about 200 in the milwaukee local. I was just curious what impact,if any, the big new buildings had on elevator employment.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 31
Share:
Scroll to Top