Elevator Forum

40 year old Apprent...
 
Notifications
Clear all

40 year old Apprentice

28 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
54.7 K Views
(@FalcFan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#17557]
Passed the aptitude test, and have my interview scheduled for this week. I'm 40 years old. Am I crazy?!?

Are there other apprentices out there my age?



   
Quote
(@JimboNJ)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Being crazy is not a requirement for elevators , but it helps ...... Good luck man ,hope it works out



   
ReplyQuote
(@DisplayName)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
FalcFan....you are totally Crazy! And so am I, I am over 40. My brother once had a 50 year old apprentice.



   
ReplyQuote
(@FalcFan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Haha!!! Thanks for the encouragement!



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Started a 59 year old last week. He ended up in the hospital the evening after his first day!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@FalcFan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Damn, Dan. I think i am in better shape. Hope he is ok.



   
ReplyQuote
(@DisplayName)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Oh man, yeah I hope he ends up ok. I currently work a desk job, so I've been trying to hit the gym to get my body in shape for the work. I'll admit, I think 59 may be pushing it, unless you are in excellent shape.
If I don't get called from this list then I'll just stick to my current career because I'll just be that much closer to 50 the next time around.
I heard about the Kone employee who died on the job yesterday. My heart goes out to his family. He was 42 with 20 years experience.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Last I heard he was OK! and there is almost 20 years difference so if your in descent shape you should be fine. But this guy was trying to start a career when most elevator men talk about retirement. This business can wear a body out after 30 or 40 years. Hahahaha!



   
ReplyQuote
(@ElecTech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Well assuming he is ok and decides to call it quits, at least he tried. Better than kicking himself over it later.



   
ReplyQuote
(@xxXBlazeXxx)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Never to old, unless you can't work safely. Be safe an enjoy.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Bl3ss3d)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Plenty apprentices your age get hired. Some make it, some don't. The ones who do, have a good work ethic and willingness to learn. This trade isn't for everyone, though. People think, just because we get paid what we do, that they can make it in the trade. It's a great trade/career. You get to work with great individuals, and at times not so great individuals. For the most part, everyone will help/teach you, just as long as you show them you want to learn. Learn as much as you can, and work hard, but most of all "Work Safe".

Good luck!



   
ReplyQuote
(@DisplayName)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Good to hear and good advice. Thanks BL3ss3d.



   
ReplyQuote
(@FalcFan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
My interview went well, it seemed. Plenty of older guys there. Hope to hear some news within a week.

Thanks for easing my mind guys.



   
ReplyQuote
(@chuggins25)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Good luck! I start Tuesday!



   
ReplyQuote
(@dre1383)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
As an interviewer during our last recruitment we had 21-58 yr old men and woman show up. One applicant graduated college before I was actually born, which I found crazy. I understand how appealing our business has become but its not for everyone. At 40, if you make it you could still put in 25 yrs. Are you willing to do to school one night a week for the next four yrs after working a ten hour day? Its not just a big paycheck, there are so many more responsibilities. Good luck.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top