Elevator Forum

40 year old Apprent...
 
Notifications
Clear all

40 year old Apprentice

28 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
54.7 K Views
(@FalcFan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Well, Guys, I'm ranked #101. Doesn't look good for me. I enjoyed the experience, and wish you guys nothing but the best. Stay safe!



   
ReplyQuote
(@DisplayName)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What city and local list? 101 in some cities is bad and in others its not so bad. I had a nephew that was ranked 153 and got called. He didn't take the job though.



   
ReplyQuote
(@FalcFan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Atlanta Local 32.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ElecTech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I think Atlanta has had 2 recruitments in two years so it seems like they must be hiring quite a few. Maybe ask around to find out where the last list was.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
There was a guy on another post that said he was 175 on Chicago's list and he ended up getting his call in a couple months.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Joe45)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I interview the 11th for local 18 Vegas. Hope I make a good impression!



   
ReplyQuote
(@nick9437)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Atlanta!=Chicago

Chicago had more high rises built in '15 than any other city in our country. Which is why Local 2 got up to the lower 200s on the list.

Regardless, it's not the end of the world for OP. TRUST ME!!! I'd look into running a crane if I was 40... 40 is way too old and too much BS to deal with to start this trade that late in life.

.02

Last edited by nick9437; 08/06/16 10:32 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@ss2112)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hello everyone - I'm getting ready to take my EIAT in 2 weeks. Any clues as to what's on the test? I was told multiplying, dividing fractions and decimals - but is there more stuff? Thanks



   
ReplyQuote
(@Pinche)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
There's about 30 pages of what to expect thru the process under apprentice advice. Take the time to research and read it like everyone else did.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Bl3ss3d)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I don't know the total number of members in your local, but I think you should be fine. I know Atlanta is not a big local, like Miami, SF, LA, etc....Keep in mind people get offered the job, only to either not answer their phone when called, have phone disconnected/changed. Or simply just not show up/turn it down. Some just quit on their first day, when they see the high rise they'll be working in, if they work traction. Especially catching the buckhoist up 70 stories +/-.
A newly hired apprentice once quit on us (TKE). I was getting out my car, he introduced himself, i did as well. When he saw the tower we were working on he asked "Is that where we're working at"! I said yes. He asked, are we on the bottom, I said no, we're topping out on rails. See the buckhoist, we have to catch that all the way up. Since the cars were on top, obviously. He said, I can't do this, I'm leaving. I told him, can you leave me your safety bag, and he did.
Long story short, not everyone will take/want the job. So your name will move up on the list rather quickly. Who knows, you might get into Mods/Repairs and not traction.
At least, give it a shot, you might like it!
Good luck.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ElecTech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Bl3ss3d
...Keep in mind people get offered the job, only to either not answer their phone when called...

This is one of my concerns about this part of the process. Some of the buildings that I've gone to school in or worked in have had shaky reception. My motors class was in the basement we had to go outside to make phone calls. So you miss the call, that's it?? I can't imagine missing the call because I was in an elevator of all places.

I know someone wrote in another thread that his local (2?) transcribed his phone number wrong and so he never got the call. But they just put him back on the list when he phoned in to ask about the list I believe, something not recommended be done.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Bl3ss3d)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
When I got in, I remember sitting at the hall. They emphasized... Make sure all your info is correct. If it's not we will move right along. Times have changed since then. I believe they give a window/timeframe to get back to them. How long I don't know. My current apprentice is a 50%, so he keeps me informed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@42764)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Old thread bump, trying to get in at 43...lol



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top