Elevator Forum

Question about code...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Question about code requirement for elevator phone

5 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
19.3 K Views
(@sreja)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#3576]
Hi all,

I have a question about the code requirements in ASME A17 regarding two-way communication device for an elevator that I cannot figure out.

We are a 12 unit (5 floor) residential condominium in Illinois, with a beautiful old 1929 Otis Traction elevator.

I understand that there are a set of new upgrades that we must have performed by 2015, including emergency lighting, two-way communication, pit ladder, stop switch, etc.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is the specific requirements of the two-way communication and how it relates to ADA stuff.

My impression from reading the ASME stuff is that we *MUST* have a two-way communication system (phone), but that it's not REQUIRED to be ADA compliant (our entries aren't ADA compliant for example). If that's true it would mean that we could install a non-ADA compliant phone in the elevator that was period appropriate, or at least start out by doing so (for example putting in a normal desk phone).

But it may very well be that ASME (or Illinois?) is stating that the (normally just a guideline) ADA code requirements are being mandated as part of the ASME code as strictly required, and that we absolutely must be compliant with it by 2015.

I understand that perhaps the smartest thing might simply be to install an ADA compliant elevator phone regardless of the rules. But at this point i've become really curious about the answer to this question and the building has expressed an interest in starting out as a first step by simply putting a phone jack in the elevator and putting a normal phone in the elevator -- for both aesthetic and cost reasons.

So my general question is -- must we meet ADA requirements to be compliant with state elevator code? And specifically, would putting a dedicated telephone line and standard phone in the elevator be compliant?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts
-sreja



   
Quote
(@Robert Krieger)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You are so blessed to live in the same town as Tom Sybert of CJ Anderson and Company. I am confident his company can come up with a custom Car Operating Panel that will fit in with your classic Elevator while being fully functional with the latest code requirements. There are a number of options with regards to a standard or a ring down line. A Phone with out a handset really cuts down on vandalism to your elevator and does a great job. I think Tom can help you with that selection as well.
A dedicated line is required. Please think long and hard about having the phone dial to an answering service in New York or Missouri. Any time an emergency elevator phone goes to music on hold, its a bad thing. I sincerely believe a local company will work harder for you and to keep your business. http://smartelevatortech.com/RetractaLadder.htm has a great ladder for the pit of your elevator.

Respectfully,

Robert L Krieger Jr.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sreja)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I've actually talked with Tom before this (unfortunately we are several hours from CJ Anderson; but they do have beautiful stuff).

But regardless, this doesn't get at my question, which is about what the new elevator code *MANDATES* in terms of ADA compliance of the two-way communication device (phone).

I remain confused about whether the elevator phone in a 12 unit residential condo *MUST* conform to ADA guidelines (regarding height, voiceless identification, etc.), or whether such ADA things are treaded like the rest of ADA -- not strictly required and handled on a case-by-case basis.

Anyone?



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sreja

You may want to go directly to who enforces the code in your State.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Maryland requires the two way emergency communication devices now as well.
There is a unit we put in that works with the K-tech ADA phones that allows an emergency personnel to pick up that phone and talk directly to the person in the elevator. I can't remember the name of the unit off hand but I'll check and get back to you. The only hitch if I remembered correctly is that all the phone units had to be on the same service line. That was a grey area for awhile since they were requiring each elevator to have it's own dedicated line which was stupid.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top