Elevator Forum

Annual inspection f...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Annual inspection fees for third party inspection

7 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
13.3 K Views
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#3360]
I am a iuec service mechanic and want to know if you guys know how much third party (QEI) inspections cost your customers in your area. In my area only the biggest cities have their own inspectors, and all the outside the city limits is handled by one company. This particular company has alot of work and travels across state lines due to lack of competition. This company hires retired iuec mechanics and they do a great job. I know all the inspectors as well as the owner, but dont want any rumors started. That is why I'm asking all of you. I know that a hydraulic 2-stop cant cost the same as a 10-stop traction. Also a dumbwaiter cannot cost the same as a escalator or wheelchair lift. The distance a inspector has to travel, must also play a factor. Just wanting to know if there is money to be made. Thanks for reading.



   
Quote
(@Robert Krieger)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
As you pointed out, the inspector in question travels all over the state. Think carefully about the price of gas going up so are motels and hotels and bkfst, lunch and dinner before deciding to do the same job cheaper than the other guy.

Many people charge what the market bears. Naturally a hydro is different than a traction job or even an escalator. The inspector basically rents time. Most clients wont pay for travel time and believe that it is covered in the flat rate fee charged by the inspector.

I think if you were an IRS agent, you would find that in most areas, the inspector makes about helper's wages for the year. This is not to imply that they work only 40 hours a week, as in my opinion, travel to and from the job as well as the hours spent away from home, filing the reports are not sufficiently compensated for.

Some inspectors have to do this as retired persons as they did not put enough away to retire. Most inspectors, in my opinion, do this because they are passionately committed to safety and the riding public and choose to participate in society by assuring the safe operation of conveyances. As such they all deserve respect for their position.

If you could get accurate information from people who actually do the work, you will find that the margins are very low and everyone is struggling to make ends meet. Building owners rarely see value in this service until its too late for them. I would guess they see the service as a commodity and shop for lower prices.

Elevator mechanics pay more than inspectors almost everywhere.

In my home state, the fees charged for permit inspections are posted on the State web site: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/ElevatorPubs_forms.html scroll down to fee schedule.

This means, in California, your prices have to be lower than the State Charges in order to capture the business. If your costs are low enough, you might just be able to make payroll, but keep in mind that benefits and compensation come out of the revenue.

Are you willing to take what is on the table? My best words of advice is to go forward and obtain the certification you would need to be an inspector. It's not as easy as it might appear. Hold the certification in your back pocket until such a time you can afford to retire and then participate as an inspector.

Feel free to contact me if I may be of any service.

Robert L Krieger



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Amen Robert...

Also I know a lot of guys, who "Retire" early (Pre-Medicare age), and do the QEI thing, part time, to pay the monthly insurance bills...

A few trips to the hospital, for major issues, can easily wipe out a life time worth of savings.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Cmw007
Robert is giving you great advice! Although I don't know him personally I have read many of his posts. I believe he is sincere in wanting to help others. He's giving you a fee schedule to emulate. And he is showing you where to begin to look for information in your state. I would ask Robert how many 2-4 story units in a ten mile radius he would inspect in a day?

If he could inspect;
3 units per day @ $225.00 = $675.00
Allow one day for paper work if you intend to do it yourself?
4 days x $675.00 = $2700.00
For a one man inspection service company $11,500.00 a month looks like a great potential business to me! Even if your expenses are a third of that it still looks good. The question is are you willing and able to go out on your own?

11 years ago I made the leap of faith! I had saved enough to last 3 years without an income. It has been the best thing I have ever done. But, I have also watched friends and family fail attempting to do the same. Now I am working with one of my nephews to try and help him!

If you are thinking of trying my advice is to contact an oginization like SCORE. they are made up of retired business owners looking to help start up companies. They will help you put together a business plan and many other skills you will need. If you know someone who owns a service company (elevators, HVAC, ECT) ask them if they have any advice or would mentor you?



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I don't know about inspection business, but I do know about start-up elevator companies-

"You know how you make a small fortune in the elevator business?"

"Start with a big one!"



   
ReplyQuote
(@cmw007)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thank you all for the great advice and information. I'm not looking at giving up my mechanics card at this point, but just collecting information and advice from others about the potential. Any more advice or information would be great. Thanks



   
ReplyQuote
(@jomer231)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
South Carolina has recently privatized inspections. there are inspectors doing hydros for 100-125 dollars. 150 for tractions. If you do a proper annual re-inspection 80 miles from the office and you try to recover travel costs you will be underbid by someone who may or may not do a full..proper inspection. Auditors from the state do follow up randomly which is a good thing. The money may supplement a retirement income but competition is cut throat and at those prices make it tough to make a full time living. A proper price shouldbe over 200 per unit.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top