Were you familiar with those Haughton selectors, with all the chains and clutches?
If you're still wrenching it, work safe,
Jim
PS: Not a pitch here, I talked about most of the above in my book "Elevator Man Stories"
cheers brett.
ps ill get your book too!
Never worked as service helper. Construction until turning out as mechanic then adjuster. I did work 1901 & 1888 as a helper during construction. Worked another one in CC all I remember was the yellow porcelain cabs. I think it was the Alcoa building. I worked out of the Glendale office and then moved to San Diego, Seattle, Sacramento and finally Monterey where I retired 10 years ago. I did see your reply and passed it on to my friend, hadn't heard back from him as of yet. When I do I'll post the results.
Work Safe My Friend,
Jim
Westinghouse was not directally in the elevator business. What they did was supply rotating elements to independent companies. The largest I remember was Llewelyn Iron Works out of Southern California. Llewelyn built there own geared machines, controllers, car frames and related equipment. These guys built beautiful stuff and were way ahead of thier time. They were the only company in California that could go head to head with Otis on class A installations during the twenties and thirties. The were other smaller companies that also bought from WECO, like Spencer Westinghouse. WECO got into the elevator business because Llewelyn and others fell upon hard times during the depression and were on the hook with WECO for big bucks. WECO took over some of these companies and started installing elevators and escalators.
There might be some pic of their stuff at Elevator Bobs site. Think the link is on my site.
EMail me at [email protected] and I'll send some diagrams for Llewelyn.
Regards, Jim
thanks mate.
That was about 1986, I think. All I remember about 1901 Avenue of the Stars, is that the selector had electric clutches, and a myriad of chains. It looked like something that would never stay in adjustment very long! The mechanic had me clean car tops. That's about all I remember. Later, Amtech was "training" me to be a troubleshooter, hung around with Joe Pasol a bit, learned about the titty bar. Didn't think my carreer was going anywhere, so I went to Otis. (It was a fundemental misjudgement on my part, because I was in a great position, and didn't know it)
The next time I was on the Avenue of the Stars was as an adjustor for Otis, on 401s, in about 1989.