Elevator Forum

Westinghouse Door O...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Westinghouse Door Open issue (Front & Rear)

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
5,047 Views
 CES
(@CES)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#37786]
I'm seeking assistance with an issue on an old Westinghouse duplex elevator. One of the cars is failing to open both the front and rear doors when responding to car calls only. However, the doors do open from hall calls.

This particular elevator is the only one with both front and rear doors being used exclusively for the 1st floor landing. All other floors have inline front entrances.

When a car call is pressed, the elevator travels to the selected floor, levels, and stops, but the doors remain closed. (Door Open button does).

It appears that relay 45 or 45R ("Master Door Control"), depending on whether it's a front or rear call, never drops out, preventing the door open relay (44 or 44R) from activating. I find it odd that this issue is with both entrances so I'm looking for something in common between the front and rear doors that would prevent both from opening.

Any help would be much appreciated.



   
Quote
(@Sammy1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Do you have LA and DOT relays on the controller?



   
ReplyQuote
 CES
(@CES)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I don't remember if LA was in the controller off hand but DOT is. I initially encountered an issue with the (L) coil, which caused the elevator to bypass each floor without stopping. After replacing the (L) coil, it resolved that issue, then I discovered this problem. Both the front and rear doors experience this issue only during car call runs. This suggests that the problem is common to both doors and occurs before they enter their respective independent circuits, as the front and rear doors have separate circuits. Let me know what you think.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Sammy1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I would look into the L and DOT circuits.
Attachments
IMG_7536.jpeg (111.65 KB, 26 downloads)
IMG_7538.jpeg (215.3 KB, 18 downloads)



   
ReplyQuote
 CES
(@CES)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
As I stated earlier I replaced the L relay and verified everything appears fine. However, I noticed that if the L relay is held up for one second longer, it allows the doors to open. I'm unsure about the specifics of Westinghouse coils, but I know they have various types with different resistances. I also don't see any timing circuit for the L relay, but I'm wondering if the resistance in the coil might be causing it to drop out a bit prematurely. I've never seen that be an issue though.

I’ve never encountered this issue when swapping coils that had a little different in their resistance on other controllers, but I’m curious if anyone else has experienced something similar with Westinghouse coils and varying resistances. My parts department matched the part number, which the new number is different from the original. I can’t imagine a slightly different resistance being the problem, if that's even the case. See the attached print for the L coil circuit, all contact are fine, L just needs to hold 1 second longer. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know, if not I may have to add a delay off timer.

Thanks

Attachments
20240722_160145.jpg (1.4 MB, 22 downloads)



   
ReplyQuote
(@Hunter)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I’ve had a coil with a solid core inside. It seemed to hold in for a bit longer than the normal relays. Notice the small L outside the L coil circle. I would inspect your old coil closely. I’m thinking it’s not the same as the original.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Sammy1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You may want to dig into the 70C and 80SC circuit , they are part of a non interference timing , possibly compare to the other car.
Attachments
IMG_7542.png (474.79 KB, 13 downloads)



   
ReplyQuote
 CES
(@CES)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I think that is/was the issue, the old coil was a solid core and it's the same on the other car too. My parts department said the number I gave them was a cross reference match for the new one. Got to love these suppliers. As you know these coils suck to replace, not a lot of extra wire to play with and I also had to be on a step stool soldering wire extensions even though I'm 6' tall.

Yesterday I ended up adding a delay off timer circuit for about a half second. Worked perfectly and it took me only 15 minutes to install.

Thanks for responding.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top