I have a 3-stop Tac-32 that was recently re-packed and new check valves. About a week after the repair crew changed everything I get a call and they tell me the elevator is making a loud noise when it gets to the 3rd floor. I get there, I ride it up and about the last 2, or 3 inches of leveling into the floor there is a hard vibration. Sounds a feels very rough. It’s just on the 3rd landing in that spot.
A place the car on inspection and ride it down, feels fine. Then I ride up and the car starts bouncing like CRAZY. Bump, bump, bump.
I’m unclear as to this being a valve issue or something wrong with the new packings. I pulled the up leveling screen out and cleaned it and also added a gallon of MaxGlide oil additive but no change in the condition.
Any thoughts on this?
The runby and bottom overtravel are critical for it to work correctly. Minimum bottom overtravel is 8-1/2” and ya, the jacks need to be at the same height. If you pull the springs and manual lower it, you must be clear of the buffer stands so that you can bottom out the jacks to get a full manual re-sync when necessary. It’s a super common misconception that the bolts are long so that the jacks can fall away and bottom out when the car does an auto re-sync. The inertia bolts, or jump bolts, are for hitting the stop ring at high speed. If the measurements are correct the check valves open when the car hits the springs. It should be set to do it once a day and I max out the duration, I think it’s 30 seconds. Make sure the inertia bolts turn by hand so you know the jacks aren’t bound. Always pull the springs and do a manual re-sync when you’re having any trouble. You can sit a piece of paper or cardboard on the stand when you do it so you can see if it’s bottoming out or not.
Hopefully this should address the issue. Please keep us posted.
Also check when the lift is at the top level, the motor is submerged in the oil, and top up the oil if necessary.
If this is the case, are your terminal switches interfering with the normal position reference system?
Temporarily bypass the up slow down limit switch and the up direction limit switch, but keep the final limit switch in circuit and check whether the problem disappears. If yes re-adjust the limit switches and put them back in circuit.
Also check whether at this position any related traveling cable wire is losing continuity and sparking because strands are broken.