I have seen a couple Otis E401 and E411 installations here on some 40+ story high rises where there is a separate 480V power disconnect safety switch labeled 'GROUP DISCONNECT'. Without looking at the prints, what does that usually power, the control power transformer in each controller which feeds the elevator OCSS boards? Each elevator in the group has their own separate 480V 3-phase power connection for the machine, and there is another separate 480V power feed for the "group".
Thanks.
What is strange is that the single service car also has another separate disconnect which is labeled as "#5 group' Well the one and only service car is #5, so yeah, that's that. And that service elevator also has a 100A 3-pole feeder and 120v car lights circuit just like the other 4 cars.. It seems like they must be powering the controller logic boards separate from the machine DC drives. Its strange, I'll have to see if I can look at the prints when I go out there again.
Would the group controller for the 401's be typically installed in a separate cabinet, or did they just install the group boards and transformer in one of the controllers in the group?
Indeed, the 411 I was referring to was a modernization job (411M). Similar question to above, one of the controllers contains the hall button power supply transformer then?
Thanks for the feedback.
I went back to the job which has the 411M HS and yes, the group power supply fed directly to the lead controller, so I think I agree with the response for providing common power for the group fixtures in the halls. I think I understand it a little better at this point, turns out some controllers can have a DC supply with blocking diodes so that all controllers are able to provide a source of power for the group control boards. In that sense, as long as one controller is online, it can power the group control board and hall fixtures. Seems like each manufacturer handles this a bit differently.
Thanks for the responses/feedback.