Elevator Forum

otis pie plate sele...
 
Notifications
Clear all

otis pie plate selector

19 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
27.9 K Views
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#13773]
I know a few years back they make a solid state overlay for these selectors. My supervisor is now saying the company that made these are out of business? any body have any ideas?



   
Quote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That would be the MRS 11 overlay, they are out of business- Elevator Components



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You can ask Unitec. They still sell the parts for the selectors as well as SEES and Adams.

Why not MOD?



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Its unfortunate that EC went out of business as the MRF worked well.



   
ReplyQuote
 ABE
(@ABE)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I know Electrodyn was considering designing one after EC shut down. Maybe check with them.



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
thanks everyone for the responses, i would love to just rebuild these i have done it before and really think that it is a great device. the issue is the company(s) don't want to cover or limit what they will cover in repair and rebuilding these. and the customer does not want to pay to have it repaired/replaced/repaired. so caught between a customer that wants the elevator running and a supervisor that wants the callback cutdown.!? i will check into Electrodyn and see what they have going on.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sounds like a full service agreement. Maybe your Supervisor can work his magic and charm the customer into meeting his expectations!



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Talked to Jim at Electrodyne last week and they are not on line with the new selector.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I would be curious if Claddagh would be willing to create a replacement unit?



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you look at the average age of the 6850, not mention the 140M, it's hard to justify the R&D money to develope a retrofit. Most owners of such equipment will opt for a full Mod. The customer needs to ask themselves: If I spend say 20 grand on a selector upgrade, the rest of my elevator is 40+ years old, why not spring for the complete package. If I fix the selector, what other obsolete devices will fail?



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
E311 hit the nail on the head...



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
E311 & EMan,

I agree with you on your point about "why put good money into old equipment. We have several otis units with these selectors. I have found if you maintain them they provide reliable service for many years.

I will say this, we recommended to MOD one of these units to a customer. The customer explained to me their reasoning why they don't wish to MOD. He explained if he took a loan out for 100k for 15 years the term would have paid 42000.00 in interest. He explained he would rather pay 20k now and gamble that at the end of the next 15 years he won't come close to spending more then the 120000.00 he would have paid out on a loan.

It's now been 8 years. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't make a bet that he was wrong...

Last edited by jkh; 04/05/15 12:58 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
He's using static reasoning, thats a huge mistake. What if someone stumbled due to misleveling and broke an arm? That would throw the equation off- he needs to understand that elevators do not sucumb to static reasoning, they are very dynamic 🙂 I had a customer that swore he didnt need a reverse phase relay on a 1925' drum freight car, "why that elevator has run great for years, you're just try to get money out of me!"- is what he told me. Two years later, half of a city block burned and I got pulled into the litigation. The customer lied and said he was never advised of this device. Be carful out there!



   
ReplyQuote
(@halfpick)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ah....so the customer breaks down...opens his wallet and purchases the top of the line full mod just like you recommended. Controller,machine,fixtures...everything top notch! ^ months later the car freewheels into the overhead full speed with passengers! What do you tell the customer in that meeting the next day? Just playing Devil's Advocate! I'm not disagreeing with you just stating you never know when an accident will occur and the customer has to make the decision on his piece of equipment. We only maintain it we don't own it. In closing "Why doesn't the Codes take care of these problems" In 1927 there were no seatbelts laws yet if you drive an older car that vintage and get pulled over you better be wearing a seatbelt or you get a ticket? That's the Law!

Last edited by halfpick; 04/05/15 03:55 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
E311,

Although you make a compelling argument, the customer still has control of what they do with their equipment. We can only try and use our knowledge, experience and reasoning to try and influence their decision. Our last choice is to walk away.

Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to the reverse phase relay. Even if you can provide the proper documentation to contradict their claim! You still get the full experience of the law suit. Yes, I've shared that same road.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top