Elevator Forum

Otis early 70s oper...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Otis early 70s operation questions

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
2,495 Views
(@ashley)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#39908]
Got a new account with a 70s Otis and I have a couple of questions on operation. It has Phase 1 and Phase 2 key switches, but no smoke detectors to set it into phase 1, just the hall key switch. Believe it or not the original job packet was still on site. It states the key switch should be a key number 815871. However nobody has a clue what I'm talking about when I ask for that key number, even when giving unitec the job number. None of the old timers I talk to have a clue either. The last company failed the testing every year because they had no key, I removed the faceplate and jumped out the switch and the service operated correctly. But I need to get a key made to place in the key box. Short of removing the cylinder and taking to a lock smith, anyone have a clue where to get a key 815871? It's a Yale mortise cylinder with EX engraved on the housing behind the bezel. Owner says he's been asking Kone for a key for the last 15 years. None of my standard UT series keys work, they fit in but won't turn.

Second question. There is a key switch marked "service" in the car station. Same thing, no key available. It is between and up and down button. This switch is not on the prints for some reason. What is its function and how would I test it?

Last question, what is the purpose of the cart top inspection station cut off switch in the COP, I get it function, but what is the purpose, why would you ever need to do so?



   
Quote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
http://www.masterelevator.net/
Try this for your key search. Type in 2642 in the search bar. They show old switches and the key.
Some have said the designation SA ##### was the fire key.

They might be able to help you with your other key questions too.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Have you tried an Otis SA key in your FS key switches?



   
ReplyQuote
(@mmill)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That part number dates to the 1920’s. Is was common on car switches and escalators up until about the war. I think it was replaced by the Otis GA key at some point. My guess is the job spec in 1972 called out a unique key for fire recall and Otis used up some of their old stock, pretty typical back then. I’ve never had much luck locating pre war keys.



   
ReplyQuote
 JJR
(@JJR)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
My advice would be to just remove the old key switches from the panel and upgrade them to modern ones since a 70s era Otis, it is definitely discrete.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Johnny)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I believe that it is a GE key.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top